THC test function for Z up/down not working

This is the place to talk about and share things related to CNC plasma machines using UCCNC

THC test function for Z up/down not working

Postby courtjester » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:33 pm

I am having a problem with a new install, I am using 1.2113 neon screen set and a Price THC. I had the table setup using Mach 3 with no problems and wanted to change to a 400ETH. Where the problems is on the Price you can test the arc Ok, up, and down signals. When I do this I can see the signals on the diagnostic page and in the lower right (THC indicators) turn on and off as I change the switch on the Price. the arc Ok signal works as when I run a simple G-code the table will not move past the line for the Arc OK signal, if I send that signal the will complete the G-code as normal. But when I test the up and down signals the appear as switch on the screen but no movement of the Z axis happens. I do have THC enabled.
The kicker is if I switch back to Mach 3 (change firmware) the signals function as they should Z moves up and down with the switch changing the Price's output signals. So to me this is not a wiring problem.
Thanks Tom
courtjester

Re: THC test function for Z up/down not working

Postby Greolt » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:30 am

Check spindle delay. I got caught with that.
Greolt

Postby courtjester » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:05 pm

no spindle delay entered, I would like to get this going so I can use the table for Plasma cutting. Not happy if I need to go back to Mach3 :(
courtjester

Postby beefy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:55 pm

Do you by any chance have a long delay setting in THC DELAY ??
beefy

Postby courtjester » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:05 am

Thanks for the reply, No I left it as set to .3 sec delay, and I have left the switch on the THC in either up or down for a extended time with no movement. I have also tried to just the import Mach 3 XML using the Plasma XML from the mach 3 folder. This is the one that it will move the Z up and down with the THC testing switch when running Mach 3 with the UCCNC UC400ETH-motion-control-V1.022 plugin.
courtjester

Postby cncdrive » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:31 am

I would verify the THC Z min./max. settings, it defines the Z axis range where the axis can move.
For example THC max. is 10mm and THC min is 0mm then the Z can move between 0-10mm controlled by the THC up/down inputs.
You can also assign virtual THC inputs using hotkeys to trigger the ArcOK, THC up/down which can make the testing easier. Just assign a hotkey for each function in the hotkeys manu in the UCCNC.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby courtjester » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Thanks for the reply I have not changed the THC limits and they are set at 10 and-10 an I loaded with the inch setup so I assume that is a 20 inch range. I will check on the hotkey function today.
courtjester

Postby courtjester » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:27 pm

I have tested the THC functions by using the hotkey path, and the same result. When pressing the hotkey that I selected (* numeric keyboard 106) to THC arc 536. When I press the * key the ARC OK indicator lights up on both the main screen and the diagnostic page. The link between the input signal and circuit that controls the THC functions in not there. The Z axis will move under control of the keyboard and a G-code but not with any input from the THC signal path. The indicators show there is a connection to the THC unit, or if I change the sitting for the THC to unchecked active low. Even the THC delay indicator is on for a short time then goes out when the THC arc ok signal shows on the diagnostic page. If someone has a working Plasma Profile that is using a THC I would love to have it. At this point I think there is a glitch in the firmware, and until it is fixed I cannot do plasma with it. I can use the Mach 3 plugin without a problem. I spent over $200 to get away from Mach 3 and have nothing to show for it. :cry: :cry: :cry:
courtjester

Postby cncdrive » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:49 pm

Quick question? Did you enable THC with the THC on button and did you enable the M3 (spindle/torch on)?
Both are needed for the THC control to work. The M3 is needed, because THC control should work only if the torch is on, when the torch is off only then can the g-code override the Z axis over the THC control.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:50 pm

And nobody reported such issue with the THC control, so I double that it is a glitch or bug. But you can post your profile file to let us see your UCCNC version number in it and let us test with your settings.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Next

Return to CNC Plasma