Tool height setting macro

This is where you talk about Macros, show examples of your macro scripting and SHARE handy segments of script code as examples.

Tool height setting macro

Postby andrewbishop66 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:57 pm

has anyone got a macro for the above using a tool height setter touch plate to populate the tool table that i can borrow/copy/steal

getting fed up with using a height gauge and doing math

Thanks andrew
andrewbishop66

Re: Tool height setting macro

Postby CL_MotoTech » Tue May 22, 2018 1:50 pm

If I ever get to a point where I'm not making stuff via Mach3 (where I have tool height function) and can focus on UCCNC for some time I will probably write this Macro.

Ideally I'd like the machine to go to a set tool change position and have a setting where tools in repeatable height holders will not be measured after tool change, but that complicates things further.

We will see how my work flow goes, maybe I'll find some time soon.
CL_MotoTech

Postby andrewbishop66 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi Terry
I have a 3d taster that I know the height of 120.6 mm
id like to measure to my touch plate with that in manual mode zero something so that uccnc knows the distance from spindle nose to touch plate
then touch plate (connected to probe pin)
change tool run macro and have the tool length populate the tool table
change tool repeat
change tool repeat

if that makes sense

Thanks Andrew
andrewbishop66

Postby andrewbishop66 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:05 pm

You are a star
I would not have a clue where to start but tweaking I can do
I have done some visual basic in the past but that's it

Thanks ever so much I owe you a beer

Andrew
andrewbishop66

Postby andrewbishop66 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:04 pm

Hi Terry

just a question as I work in those horrible metric things mm
should I change the inches in the script to say 25 mm

Thanks Andrew
andrewbishop66

Postby Robertspark » Sat May 26, 2018 6:30 am

andrewbishop66 wrote:just a question as I work in those horrible metric things mm

Haha, they are SI standard international units....
I believe that it's only the US that still uses imperial units, why I cannot fathom though

We (UK) still measure road distance in miles (why I cannot understand either) and fuel consumption in miles / gallon (imperial gallon that is (4.55 litre)... Not us gallon (3.75 litre)...).... But the fuel pumps deliver and charge in litres...

I've make some expensive errors in life, but this one always makes me smile and realise others have created bigger problems than mine in oversight error http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/ ... metric.02/
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Sat May 26, 2018 1:37 pm

No chance of going back. About 10 years ago there was a legal challenge over the sale of some things in imperial units, they lost the legal challenge because of the European union directives if I remember correctly, but this issue was really insignificant and the legal challenge was lost because it was a challenge. If I remember correctly it was a market trader selling bananas on a market stall as a "lb of bananas".... Probably a £ for an lb of bananas.... Trading standards got involved and everyone wanted to stand their ground to prove a point....

There was a TV program on a few years ago that spoke of whitworth (man the whitworth thread is attributed) how one of his many patent items was a hexagonal bullet with a corresponding hexagonal gun barrel rifeling ... He was bidding for a better gun contract from the government of the time but lost the contract... So had an office built or purchased across the road from them at a higher level so he could look down on them. Thing was his design was apparently more accurate, just more complex to mass produce I expect.... He went on to patent many other things in anger I presume over loosing this lucrative contract because he could not understand why or how he could loose a contract having provided the clearly better solution (more accurate).....

Didn't know he still found a good market for them in the us (read after writing the above)

https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallar ... rms_id=525

Unfortunately world moves on.... And the French won through with the metre ... (Don't get me started on half the world driving on the wrong side of the road... Including America adopting the "metric" French side.... But measuring and bolting everything together with "imperial" {British} units

It impressed me that some us companies are changing to metric these days (caterpillar, tremec (I have a t56/tr6060), Chevrolet (I have an LS engine))... Maybe in a couple more generations we'll all be talking the same lingo worldwide, and measuring everything the same

...does it really matter... I guess ...
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Sat May 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Stone doesn't get used unless it's a person's weight (rounded off number ??). A lot still talk about 2 pints of milk... But it's normally in litres anyway.... Except at a petrol station or corner shop sometimes where the price is higher and they charge more for it anyway but give you less (most don't notice..)

Or a pint of larger... That has to be a pint or riots will ensue... Don't know why because you'd get more.with a 1/2 litre of larger ... Funny really more I think about it we've actually retained more of the imperial units than I realized..... Just don't go into a hardware store and ask for a 3/8" bolt.... Or you'll get a blank look. ... Or an 8' sheet... Although they are sold in 8'x4' metric size sheets 2440x1220)... And metric bricks and blocks are not well received by clients....

I use imperial for fit or size tolerance (a thou, 1/8, 1/2 or 1/2 "....) ... But grew up in a pure metric country (couldn't tell you how many feet or yards in a mile... But I can tell you 100mph = 160kph and work backward from that for vehicle speed sensors and abs sensors pulses on a wheel... )

PCBs much easier to work in with imperial measurements than metric

...Funny old world...
Robertspark

Postby ger21 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:49 pm

Chevrolet (I have an LS engine))

American cars have used mostly metric fasteners for ~30 years. I don't own any imperial wrenches. Metric only, as I only use them when I need to work on my vehicles.

I believe that it's only the US that still uses imperial units, why I cannot fathom though

Half of our government doesn't believe in science, and/or doesn't understand what they are legislating.... :shock:
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby Robertspark » Sat May 26, 2018 7:46 pm

Half of our government doesn't believe in science, and/or doesn't understand what they are legislating.... :shock:

The world over!!!! Career politicians..... At least only 1/2 of yours .... Sometimes I think none of ours have a clue... But hey ho apparently we vote them in and they collectively represent us and they then carry out the will of the majority.... Sit back and relax in the whole scheme of things we are all just along for the ride...
Robertspark

Next

Return to Macros