Status on the Mach3 plugin ??

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Re: Status on the Mach3 plugin ??

Postby cncdrive » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:31 am

It is because we made the DHCP timout larger in the Mach3 plugin, because we got some report of slow routers and networks where the DHCP address gathering routine failed, because the router responded too slow.
Now the problem is why you can't put the UCCNC firmware back is because the UCCNC API side times out too fast.
What you can do:

1.) Connect the UC300ETH directly to the PC and disable the DHCP for the firmware update. After that you can connect it back to the network.
2.) Disable the DHCP in the router and use fix IP.
3.) Wait for the next UCCNC release where the DHCP timeout will be the same is what it is in the Mach3 plugin.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:40 am

No, I added a PCI ethernet card, and connect directly.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby A_Camera » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:50 am

cncdrive wrote:It is because we made the DHCP timout larger in the Mach3 plugin, because we got some report of slow routers and networks where the DHCP address gathering routine failed, because the router responded too slow.
Now the problem is why you can't put the UCCNC firmware back is because the UCCNC API side times out too fast.

...but my network is very fast, so how come the API times out? I have a Gigabit network, how fast does it have to be to avoid timeout?

cncdrive wrote:What you can do:

1.) Connect the UC300ETH directly to the PC and disable the DHCP for the firmware update. After that you can connect it back to the network.
3.) Wait for the next UCCNC release where the DHCP timeout will be the same is what it is in the Mach3 plugin.

OK, thanks. I'll try later on tonight. I don't have the UC300ETH here, I have it somewhere else.
Last edited by A_Camera on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_Camera

Postby A_Camera » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:58 am

ger21 wrote:No, I added a PCI ethernet card, and connect directly.

That explains why you had no problems... but direct connection kind of invalidates the idea of Ethernet in my opinion. At least it limits some pretty nice options and alternatives. Also makes it more complicated to add an Ethernet RS485 converter, which I just added and currently testing. No more USB for me is the goal.
A_Camera

Postby cncdrive » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:04 pm

Yes, it's nice to have it connected via router, but it is also the "idea" of the ethernet that it is isolated and the direct connection cable can still run upto 100meters without problems.
We mostly using these PCs in our installations which PC has 2 ethernet ports: http://shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?productID=601
I'm just showing it FYI. :)
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:05 pm

but direct connection kind of invalidates the idea of Ethernet in my opinion

Are trying to run the machine from another room?
A separate PCI card is imo the best way to go.

Also makes it more complicated to add an Ethernet RS485 converter

Why, just add a pair of PCI cards.
I got mine on Ebay for $10
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby A_Camera » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:15 pm

cncdrive wrote:Yes, it's nice to have it connected via router, but it is also the "idea" of the ethernet that it is isolated and the direct connection cable can still run upto 100meters without problems.
We mostly using these PCs in our installations which PC has 2 ethernet ports: http://shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?productID=601
I'm just showing it FYI. :)

OK, thanks, yes I know there is an advantage of isolation in Ethernet, but I can't use direct cable for several reasons, and my main reason to move to Ethernet is the ability to use a real LAN with all the advantages, not just isolated connection.

BTW, I have a few similar Mini PCs but with less I/O. They are OK if you want a dedicated computer, which I guess is what you are using it for. I am not sure it is Windows 10 compatible, but I use mine as XP and Linux PCs.
A_Camera

Postby A_Camera » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:34 pm

ger21 wrote:
but direct connection kind of invalidates the idea of Ethernet in my opinion

Are trying to run the machine from another room?

No, not only another room, some times also another building ...and may be different buildings as well.

ger21 wrote:A separate PCI card is imo the best way to go.

Not for everyone.

Also makes it more complicated to add an Ethernet RS485 converter

ger21 wrote:Why, just add a pair of PCI cards.
I got mine on Ebay for $10

Yes, I know what they cost and I have several in my drawer, but that's not a good solution because it kind of invalidates the idea of a LAN connection. Beside, laptops have limitations in that respect also, as well as desktops. Yes, I know the solution... by a bigger desktop computer, don't run from laptops and so on... but there is no one size fit all solution.

If network technology is used it should be network technology, not dedicated cables and cards... that's so outdated.
A_Camera

Postby A_Camera » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:47 pm

A_Camera wrote:
cncdrive wrote:It is because we made the DHCP timout larger in the Mach3 plugin, because we got some report of slow routers and networks where the DHCP address gathering routine failed, because the router responded too slow.

...but my network is very fast, so how come the API times out? I have a Gigabit network, how fast does it have to be to avoid timeout?

cncdrive wrote:What you can do:

OK, thanks. I'll try later on tonight. I don't have the UC300ETH here, I have it somewhere else.

Seems like alternative 3 is the solution because there is a bug somewhere. After two changes back and forth the UC300ETH is no longer recognized by any of the software and needs to be reset to factory default and set up again for the network before a successful firmware update and connection. This is consistent, as far as I can see, it makes no difference if DHCP is disabled or not. I have fixed IP set for the UC300ETH and that IP is excluded from the gateway DHCP list, so it is kept all the time.

I hope the new UCCNC release comes soon. Until then, it seems I have to use one or the other, and right now I need Mach3 more than UCCNC. It's a pity that the Mach3 plugin is not supporting the Output Trigger Functions because I built my control box around those, so I have to manage without the LEDs if I use Mach3.
A_Camera

Postby A_Camera » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Please don't tell me anything about my network and my connections and how to run whatever I want to run. You have no clue about any of that. :P
A_Camera

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software