Losing Connection after Windows 10 Update?

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Re: Losing Connection after Windows 10 Update?

Postby cncdrive » Mon May 21, 2018 11:22 am

As far as I remember the "metered" connection to block updates on Win 10. worked for some time, but now you can't fool Windows anymore and as Gerry said you can't block critical updates and you can only delay updates with max. 30-35 days if I remember correctly.

Fortunately the UCCNC has no issues now with the updates since we fixed the OpenGL bug which came through the Win 10. updates last year.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby A_Camera » Mon May 21, 2018 12:05 pm

dezsoe wrote:
A_Camera wrote:I wish I could set the exact date and time and it should NEVER bother to go out and look for updates in between.

If you schedule the updates then you won't get the most important instant critical updates/patches. And don't forget, also the built-in antivirus (Defender) updates through the Windows Update service.

Windows Defender updates are separate from the patch updates. While you are right that if you postpone updates then you won't get the update when Microsoft distributes, but that is already the case today, since patches are not distributed at the same time all over the world, and in fact, not even at the same time for the same household, not even if two computers are side by side, online and on high speed Internet connection in exactly the same LAN. My wife got the 1803 a week before I received it, and so far only one of the three computers I have on the same desk been updated, even if I click on "Look for update" on those two I get the answer that my PC is updated, while I know they are not updated at all... So there is always a discrepancy in update, even if it is done automatically.
A_Camera

Postby A_Camera » Mon May 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Battwell wrote:there was recent talk of this on mach3 forum
one member said he set his to "metered line- as in pay for data"
says it doesnt automatically download updates.
im sticking to windows 7 - not on internet for all my machines

As far as I know, in Windows 10 Pro you have the following options:

You can postpone functional updates for maximum 365 days, and quality updates for maximum 30 days, AND you can pause an update by maximum 35 days. There is no way to completely turn off updates, which was one of the major news in Windows 10. Of course, if a computer is not connected to the Internet then it can't be updated, so that option is still there. I have never tested setting to paid (metered) Internet access, maybe that will also prevent downloading updates, because the updates are huge and takes a long time even with very fast connection. I would not appreciate any automatic updates if I had to pay by mega bytes.

I don't know what is valid for Windows 10 Home, I think there you have no options to do anything else than let Microsoft manage updates.
A_Camera

Postby cncdrive » Mon May 21, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi Josef,

I remember something similar what you wrote. :)
And I'm positive about that the metered connection option does not stop all updates. If I recall it did in early Windows 10 versions but now it does not anymore. The critical updates will still download.
So, earlier checking the metered connection option was the trick to stop the updates, but this is not working anymore.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby A_Camera » Tue May 22, 2018 12:12 pm

cncdrive wrote:Hi Josef,

I remember something similar what you wrote. :)
And I'm positive about that the metered connection option does not stop all updates. If I recall it did in early Windows 10 versions but now it does not anymore. The critical updates will still download.
So, earlier checking the metered connection option was the trick to stop the updates, but this is not working anymore.

Hi Balázs,

I don't know EVERYTHING about W10, but after a discussion on CNC Zone I checked what settings I have, so what I wrote was my understanding of what I could see. I am not sure if I used the right terminology because I am using Swedish Windows, so I may have not interpreted right, but functionally I think it is the way I explained. Regarding the "metered connection" I have never tried that so I have no idea.

Though I may be wrong, but I think the only way to prevent updates is through disconnecting the PC from the Internet, or through some deep, undocumented hacking. As much as this can be frustrating, I support the idea which eventually forces users to update and I think that is a good approach for home users and small companies, but it may also cause issues and large organisations may not accept this. My employer DEMANDS 100% control of updates, so we use W7 Enterprise and no change is planned for now. I don't work for the IT department, but I know that my employer will NEVER accept that Microsoft has the control of updates and the update frequency.
A_Camera

Postby ger21 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Even Apple breaks stuff with their updates.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Tue May 22, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi Josef,

I only know that the metered connection is not working anymore for all updates, because I have that option checked on my Win 10 tablet and it still downloads and install updates.
And after I realised this is happening I looked up the theme on the internet and found some info when other people mentioned the same.
The Win 10 on this tablet is English Windows 10.

My opinion is that however updates can be very useful especially for home users as you said, but at least Microsoft should give an option to fully disable them and that option should be different than not connecting to the internet at all. :)
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby dezsoe » Tue May 22, 2018 12:32 pm

Josef,

Large organisations use Active Directory. With AD you can set policies to control anything on the client PCs. Normally, the updates come to a WSUS server where the admin can (has to) approve updates that will install on clients. So, you are right. :)
dezsoe

Postby A_Camera » Tue May 22, 2018 4:28 pm

I just know that we are still using W7 Enterprise at work and that W10 is not planned. Rolling out a new OS is a huge thing where I work, but I am just an office rat, even if I am an engineer, luckily not working with IT support so I have no details. At work, if I have a computer issue I just call a number, somebody connects to my PC remotely if necessary and fixes the issue. At home it's a different thing...
A_Camera

Postby A_Camera » Tue May 22, 2018 4:35 pm

ger21 wrote:Even Apple breaks stuff with their updates.

Of course, Apple is not immune. I am pretty sure that even Microsoft tests everything extremely well, not less than Apple.
A_Camera

PreviousNext

Return to Ask a question from support here