Maximum g-code file size?

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Re: Maximum g-code file size?

Postby ger21 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:17 pm

Let me see if I can get you the steps when I get home. I managed to get it on the first try, but don't recall exactly what I did.

I have Windows 10 Pro on a 6 core i7 with 32Gb of RAM.
My laptop which also did it is also Windows 10 Pro with a 4 core i7 with 16Gb of RAM.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:23 pm

Ohh, ok, I only have a tablet with Windows 10. at the moment, but it has only 2GB RAM and so I don't think it can load this large file as Windows 10. itself eats most of that up when it is running idle. :)

OK, so then please first try that .exe which I've posted and if that fixes it then we can say that it is fixed, because then my guess was OK about what could possibly cause this issue.
Or if it does not fix it then let me know and give me the steps of how to do it on Win 10. and I will try to get a stronger Win 10. machine to reproduce and debug it.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby dezsoe » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:58 pm

Balázs, If you send me the file I can test it on core i7 8GB Windows 10 Pro.
dezsoe

Postby ger21 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:29 pm

I was using a 145Mb file when I got the error. UCCNC was using about 8Gb of memory, sometimes even more when the editor was open.
I can post a link to the file later, if you need a file that big.
Gerry
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:35 pm

Gerry, I gave Dezsoe an about 100MB file a few minutes ago to start with. I have larger files too if he will need.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby dezsoe » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:27 pm

I could reproduce the problem.

Gerry, I found that when you press close and nothing happens, then there is an error window with the same error message, but it is hidden behind the main window.

Balázs, the modified exe works fine by me.
dezsoe

Postby cncdrive » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:45 pm

Thanks Dezsoe, then it seems my bet was correct about what could cause the issue. :)

BTW, Gerry, you wrote that the peak memory usage of the UCCNC is around 10GB when you loading your large 100MB file.
Maybe you can upload that file somewhere to let me download and check?
I'm asking this, because 10GB sounds a lot. When I'm loading a 200MB file the peak memory usage is around 3.5GB which falls back to about 2.5GB when all garbage is collected by the .NET garbage collector which happens when the file is fully loaded and no more needed stuff are all disposed and goes to garbage collector and then deleted.
So, I can think of 2 things, that your code contains lots of vertices which is only possible that it contains much more than my code if it contains lots of arcs, because my code contains only G0 and G1.
Or the Windows 10. task manager is less precise than Windows 7. in estimating memory usage of applications.
The thing is that the UCCNC using managed and also unmanaged memory, one reason for that it is mixed language application, so however Windows 7. mostly still estimates the used memory close enough, but maybe the Windows 10. algorithm for this is worse. Sometimes Windows 7. is also incorrect about it, I know because I verified the memory usage a few times along the development, but usuallythe Win 7. task manager is really close to the truth.
So, I'm not sure which one is the case, so if you could share that file then I will try to load it on my Win 7. x64 computer to see how much memory it peaks on this PC.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:53 am

The test version seems to have worked for me as well. No more crashes.

BTW, Gerry, you wrote that the peak memory usage of the UCCNC is around 10GB when you loading your large 100MB file.
Maybe you can upload that file somewhere to let me download and check?
I'm asking this, because 10GB sounds a lot. When I'm loading a 200MB file the peak memory usage is around 3.5GB which falls back to about 2.5GB when all garbage is collected by the .NET garbage collector which happens when the file is fully loaded and no more needed stuff are all disposed and goes to garbage collector and then deleted.

The code is from Fusion 360, and is mostly G0/G1, with a few short G2 moves.
I just did some testing.

When loading the file, Task Manager is showing UCCNC using 4Gb of RAM when the file is loaded. Opening the editor raises the ram usage to about 8Gb, and it then fluctuates between 6-8Gb. I used "Find" in the editor to look for G2, and the usage then briefly went to 12-14Gb of RAM, then back to about 7-8 when it stopped searching.
After closing the editor, it dropped to 6Gb, then fluctuated between 5-6Gb.

Here's a link to the file.
www.thecncwoodworker.com/downloads/uccnc/1020.nc
Gerry
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi Gerry,

I just had some time to load your g-code file.
What I see on my computer is 4.2GB peak memory usage when it loads the file which dropped down to about 2.8GB when the file got loaded and the garbage collector wiped out the garbage from the memory. I'm running Windows 7 x64.
So, it's a bit strange that you see 12-14GB peak memory usage on your computer, but the truth is what I wrote previously is that the task manager may be unable to properly calculate the allocated memory, because the software uses both managed and unmanaged memories and also allocating video memory. Win 7. is mostly getting the overal memory usage close to the real allocated value, but maybe Windows 10 is not that good in this.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:20 am

If you read my post, that 10+Gb was when the file was opened in the editor, and I used the "Find" function.
Gerry
ger21

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software