Will I be putting Lipstick on a Pig?

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Will I be putting Lipstick on a Pig?

Postby lectrolad » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:16 am

Hi Folks,new to this forum although I have lurked for a time.

I have owned a Grbl type machine for more than 12 months and sort-of happy with it except Grbl is a real pain.

Will I be putting Lipstick on a Pig if I were to upgrade this machine with something like: UCCNC, UC100, Gecko G540 and suitable power supply? Anything else?

Thanks for any help.
lectrolad

Re: Will I be putting Lipstick on a Pig?

Postby cncdrive » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Unfortunately I do not know anything about Grbl, so I cannot compare and so I can't give you a real answer to your question, hopefully someone else on the forum can.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:51 pm

lectrolad wrote:
Will I be putting Lipstick on a Pig if I were to upgrade this machine with something like: UCCNC, UC100, Gecko G540 and suitable power supply?

I would expect that the change to the G540 will give you more speed, but to really take advantage of the G540, you'd probably also want to change your motors too.

Switching to UCCNC should give you much more control over your machine operation, allowing you to add features and do things that GRBL doesn't support.

But, you're still limited by the mechanicals of the machine, which is what really determines cut quality and cutting parameters. So at the end of the day, you may not be able to cut any differently than you can now. So it is, in some ways, putting lipstick on a pig.

Questions like this are always hard to answer, though, because the expectations of the users are the most important thing to consider, and that's the thing that only you know.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby lectrolad » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:41 am

Thanks cncdrive a ger21 for your input. I shall have to do a bit more research to find my next move. We may be talking again. Cheers
lectrolad

Return to Hardware