Maximum g-code file size?

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Maximum g-code file size?

Postby ger21 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:52 pm

I'm sure you are aware of this thread at CNC Zone.
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/uccnc-con ... 0-cnc.html

What is the maximum file size that UCCNC should be able to run?

I've tested the 93+Mb file (3.2 million lines I think) on multiple versions, and after loading, the toolpath and g-code windows do not display anything. The code does appear to run, but the DRO's stop working at line 32-33, and the interface appears to freeze, but is actually still working.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Re: Maximum g-code file size?

Postby cncdrive » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi Gerry,

Thank you for this information.
The file size the UCCNC can load depends on how much memory it needs.
Usually the limit now is around 70-90Mbytes, but again it depends on how many objects it has in the g-code and what are the objects,
because for example one G2/3 draw from lots of lines and one G0/G1 draw from 1 or 2 lines only depending on if the color needs to change on the next one. There is no arcs objects in OpenGL, so an arc require more memory than a line.
Currently the UCCNC runs as a x86 process, so the object size limit is 2GB.
We have plans to make it AnyCPU compatible to let it run as x64 process when running it on x64 computers, but it needs some work which was not done yet.

And that guy on that cnczone thread is a complete liar by the way and a very rude person.
He asked for help and I asked him to check a few things which he never checked, but he demanded answers.
Then when I told him that I could not reproduce the problems he having, he reported other things which I have tested and told him I could not reproduce, then he told me insults like questioning my religion.
I then warned him that if he will talk like that then I will cut the communication with him, because I will not tolerate this type of language.
So, a bit later he sent me this big file issue which I told him that the file is likely too big, but he could not send me the file, because it did not get through the email, probably because it was too big,
but I told him, that even without having the file I'm sure the issue will be that the file is too large.
Then he came up with another problem and started threatening with lawsuit, he said his machine did not stop on reset.
And I explained him that a machine should never rely on software reset (which story I beleive is a lie though from the context of his communication) only and I described him how he should do a reset circuit.
And I also told him, that if he want to proceed with a lawsuit, that's ok with us and asked him to first read the EULA of the software and after that if he wants to continue then he can do it through the legal channels which is his lawyer contact ours or file the suit.
In response he called me a "fag".
So, I cut the communication and banned his email, because of his behaviour.
And the whole stuff he made up on cnczone is a compete lie, just to let you guys know. I was never rude to him, I never told a bad word to him, and he was very very rude and abusive all the time, even when he started asking.
He also sent me another email he sent to a CAM software company (don't want to say who), he wanted to proove that the issue is in the UCCNC for not loading such file (when I already told him the file is too big for the UCCNC), in which email he abused the CAM company representative a similar way, I mean he wrote similar things to that poor guy too. :(

Oh, and by the way, I also offered him before he gone a complete abuser that I will help to refund the controller and software if he can't make the controller work as how he wanted it to work,
however it is not in warranty I still told him we take it back. So, he lied about this too on cnczone. Basicly this guy is a complete liar and a bully I have to say. He deserves no help until he learns how to talk to people the civilized way and how to behave with others.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:28 pm

And just to let you guys give an idea how this customer is communicating, this was his very first email.
He introduced himself as follows. And I have to note I have never talked or got any email from him before this one, so this is how he approaches somebody who he not even knowing yet.

licsense key doesn't work still in demo mode controller wont connect to eithernet. ip address from instructions is invalid. nothing works. straight connection no router. not reconized. changing name does nothing no way to connect. 2 problems rite away. looks like more junk I bought

This was his very first email. And I would like to point it out, that this was all his email. No "Hello", no signature that I'm who I am, no nothing, just this email as a first introduction.
And this email is not even rude or abusive from him taking into account of what else he emailed me later...
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:39 pm

No explanation was needed to show that he's rude.

Would it be possible, or even helpful, to disable the toolpath display like you can do in Mach3, in order to load large files like this?
Gerry
ger21

Postby A_Camera » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:32 am

cncdrive wrote:And just to let you guys give an idea how this customer is communicating, this was his very first email.
He introduced himself as follows. And I have to note I have never talked or got any email from him before this one, so this is how he approaches somebody who he not even knowing yet.

licsense key doesn't work still in demo mode controller wont connect to eithernet. ip address from instructions is invalid. nothing works. straight connection no router. not reconized. changing name does nothing no way to connect. 2 problems rite away. looks like more junk I bought

This was his very first email. And I would like to point it out, that this was all his email. No "Hello", no signature that I'm who I am, no nothing, just this email as a first introduction.
And this email is not even rude or abusive from him taking into account of what else he emailed me later...

His signature seems to be "Junk". :D His last post on CNCZone was also signed with that. Unfortunately some people are like him, but fortunately, those are rare species.
A_Camera

Postby cncdrive » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 am

Hi guys,

Gerry: Yes, it would be possible to add an option to disable the toolpath view drawing, then probably much larger files could be loaded, but I think it will be a much better solution and I would consider that the final and best solution to convert the software compilation to AnyCPU and do the associated work to let it run in 32bits and also in 64bits mode depending on the OS architecture. So, the software could then take advantage of the x64 architecture when running on a 64bits OS, then it could load large files and could use a large amount of RAM. I've already made some tests earlier compiling to x64 and then I could load 1GByte g-code files (that was the largest file I had).
We have planned to do this change for some time and honesty I wanted to make it happen the same time with the .net 4.0 conversion, but we did not have enough time to do that then. The issue is that the UCCNC is using mixed language, it using not only .net, but the API core is native code and so some work is required to make it install properly on both OS architectures, it is not as simple as just changing the target platform to AnyCPU, because in native C++ there is no AnyCPU directive.
So, it will take some more time, but will happen for sure.

Josef: Yes, some people are like him, you are right, but fortunately I could count on one hand how many similar I saw so far. Most people are nice, and can be discussed with, I very rarely see anybody this rude that how this guy is. I can say he is extreme and I'm doing customer support close to 15 years now and doing international customer support a bit more than 10 years and I very rarely see people like this guy, one per a few years.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:52 pm

This limitation was removed for x64 Windows (which can handle larger memory addresses), in UCCNC test release 1.2103, details in the release notes.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:49 pm

I'm flying out of town for the weekend after work, but will try to download and test in the morning if I have time. Thanks. :D
Gerry
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi Gerry,

OK, if you will have some time then please test and let us know how it works at you.
And have a good trip!
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby naijin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:40 am

I have read the cnc zone thread from that Jason guy, and all I can think of is that he needs an exorcist, I think his set up is possessed!

Nick
naijin

Next

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software