DG4S-08020 servo drive

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Re: DG4S-08020 servo drive

Postby Chuck767 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks Derek,
The humming/vibration is coming from the servo itself.
It’s pretty loud and it’s sounding like the servo is trying to move back-and-forth by one or two in Encouder counts which is 2500 per rev.

I’m going to see if I can contact Balazs.

Thanks again,
Chuck
Chuck767

Postby Derek » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:20 pm

Chuck767 wrote:Thanks Derek,
The humming/vibration is coming from the servo itself.
It’s pretty loud and it’s sounding like the servo is trying to move back-and-forth by one or two in Encouder counts which is 2500 per rev.

I’m going to see if I can contact Balazs.

Thanks again,
Chuck

Hi Chuck

I was referring to how I could stop the motor hum by dampening the encoder wheel with my finger. There is a tiny amount of slop in the AMT encoder wheels and at a high enough encoder count it causes dithering.
Derek

Postby Chuck767 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:33 pm

Thanks Derek,

Yes I misunderstood what you were saying.
I thought the encoder wheel itself was vibrating and making noise.

I can’t imagine my encoders doing that since the whole set up is Fanuc , But maybe there is some slop that’s not obvious.

Arturo is scheduling a Tele con with me and his brother who is pretty good at tuning these drives

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of my problem.

Appreciate your input,
Chuck
Chuck767

Postby thosj » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:54 pm

I'd love it if you could follow up here with the final resolution!!
thosj

Postby thosj » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:11 pm

It'd be nice if you came back here and share your final resolution.

And seeing as you did this and I just ordered 4 DG4S-08020 drives, line drivers and programming stick myself and am curious how to install these drives and get them tuned in a system that's currently all setup and running on Gecko G320X drives. The Gecko's have no tuning software, so I'd like suggestions on how to do this.

Do I remove the belts on the machine and tune, or can I safely tune with the machine all hooked up?

Just looking for suggestions on how to swap out the drives and get them running without crashing the machine!!!
thosj

Postby Chuck767 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:36 pm

Good news,

Thanks to Arturo and his brother Johnny from CNC4PC.com, my servers are now working very nice.
Johnny spent about a half hour with me on the phone which resulted in tuned servos.
As Arturo told me, trying to explain how to tune servos is like trying to tell somebody how to tie their shoes.
Guidance over the phone was the secret.

Thanks to those who posted in this thread.
Chuck
Chuck767

Postby thosj » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:58 pm

I guess because I'm new here my posts aren't showing up until they get "approved" so pardon my ignorance, double posts, whatever shows up!!

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Tom
thosj

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Was there a smoking gun as to why you were getting the buzz?
Derek

Postby kurt » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:24 am

I am having this same issue - how did you resove it?

Thanks!!!

Kurt

cncdrive wrote:The drives which work with programming sticks do not show their own serial numbers to the servoconfig3 software, but always the serial number of the programming stick is shown.
Our older drives which has the USB circuit built into the drives showed their own serial numbers.

What you should not do is you should not hot-plug the programming stick. And by that I mean that you should first power the drive down, connect the programming stick and then power the drive up. And when removing the programming stick you should power the drive down, remove the programming stick.
Hot-plugging could cause problems, if you connecting the programming stick when the drive is already powered, firtst because the programming stick can send some random data and second because the pins are small, so it is possible to short them out accidentally which could cause a temporary short circuit which could toggle the power, cause an under voltage lockout etc.
So, it's possible that the PID parameters or the firmware got broken in the drive if the prog-stick got hot plugged, however you can still update both doing a firmware update.

To update the firmware in a case when the firmware or PID datas got broken you should closely follow the instructions in point 3.6.1.1 in the Servoconfig3 manual: http://cncdrive.com/downloads/Servoconf ... al_eng.pdf
The powering sequency described in that point in the manual is important.

It is also possible that the programming stick got broken and the drive can't send data properly if the Servoconfig3 software can't determinate that the drive is a DG4S.
I advice to first read the above mentioned firmware update procedure steps and try to follow them closely to see if it helps and if not then you should get a new programming stick, however I think it is much more likely that it is just broken firmware or PID datas than it is a programming stick issue, because the programming stick using isolation, so it is not easy to damage it, I never seen one damaged.
kurt

Postby cncdrive » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:09 pm

You have to tune the PID controller of the drive and then it will work OK.
Some of the basics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller
cncdrive
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware