Can the probe jog lockout be disabled?

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Can the probe jog lockout be disabled?

Postby Derek » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:55 am

First thing I noticed is I can't jog the machine unless the probe is plugged in.
Second thing is when I use the probe to zero on Z I don't have it retract. I check/change the DRO and then jog upward. I'm sitting here with my probe activated and no way to jog it upward.

Am I missing something?
Derek

Re: Can the probe jog lockout be disabled?

Postby Derek » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:38 pm

G01 Z.025 F1 is my friend:)
Derek

Re: Can the probe jog lockout be disabled?

Postby cncdrive » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi Derek,

In the current software version there are 2 probe protections:

1.) The probe-jog protection. This is the one you experiencing.
This is always switched on, you can't switch it off and it activates when you activate the probe with jogging,
then the software checks which axis jog and which jog direction caused the probe activation and then
all jog axis to all directions get disabled except the opposite directions of the ones which caused the probe activation.
So, you can then only jog to the opposite direction of the axis/axes which caused the probe activation, so you can move off the probe.
For example you probe with Z-down with jog key and you hit the probe, then the motion stops as the probe-jog protection activates, it saves the probe, all jog keys are disabled, except the Z-up direction,
because it is the opposite of what caused the probe to activate. So, at this point you can only jog to Z upwards until the probe deactivates,
then all jog axes and directions gets enabled again.
The issue is if you somehow moved the machine to probe activation, left it like that and closed the UCCNC, because on next powerup all jog directions on all axis will be disabled,
because this is a situation when it is unknown what caused the probe to activate, so we decided that it is then unsafe to allow any jog directions.
At this point you can only move down from the probe with MDI commands, we thought it is much safer because then you have to type in text and it is harder to mistake that,
I mean to press a key is fast and simple to mistakely press it, but if you have to type in a command the user will sure think about first about what command will it be.
So, this was our thinking when we implemented this feature.
However as this seems to be a problematic function for several users we will make a switch on/off button for this feature with default disabled, this will be done in the next release.

2.) The safe probe mode which can be macro enabled and it stops all motion if probe is triggered. This is to protect the probe from accidental movements, e.g. for accidental cycle start for milling operation when a probe is still in the chuck when there should be an endmill there... The function can be enabled with macro and button codes, default it is disabled and we thought it could be activated in M6 ATC macro for tool numbers which are probe and need this protection.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software