G93

Here is where you can request new features or special features.

G93

Postby Greolt » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:44 am

Wondering if implementation of G93 mode might be on the agenda.

Maybe hopeful is a better word. :D
Greolt

Re: G93

Postby Greolt » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:22 am

Made a couple of mentions of G93 over the last months.

Had no responce at all.

Is this possible?
Greolt

Postby Greolt » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:46 am

Still no response.

Perhaps I just do not ask the right questions or in the right manner. Would not be the first time. Words are not my strong point. :)

Wondered if people just don't know what G93 is, or why it is used. Inverse time feedrate mode.

I don't know if this is why it was originally devised but it is typically used when there are both angular and linear axis combined in one movement.

Rotary axis velocity is measured in angular units per minute. Often, but not always, degrees.

Linear axis velocity is measured in linear units per minute. Most often inches or mm.

The two do not play well together when combined in one movement.

So instead of going from point A to point B in units per minute. (G94)

With G93, the time that move should take to complete is included in each line of code.

This overcomes the limitation of mixing different types of units per minute.

Basic CAM software like Aspire, that I use, does not have the ability to produce G93 code but there are fairly simple post processors that will convert G94 code to G93.

Mach3, that I still use for rotary work, has G93 capability. It also has an inbuilt rotary axis velocity compensation which works quite well. That is what I use.

Being just a carpenter I have no idea which of the above would be simpler to include in UCCNC. It would be great to see one of them and G93 would be a great start.
Greolt

Postby cncdrive » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:58 pm

I have never used G93 so I just read after it and so now at least I now know what it is. :)
I'm not sure how hard or easy to implement it, will have to think it through first and talk to the collegues.
But I'm curios to ask that what is the practical reason to use the G93? I mean in what application and for what exact reason or reasons is this code is used?
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Greolt » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:58 pm

cncdrive wrote:But I'm curios to ask that what is the practical reason to use the G93? I mean in what application and for what exact reason or reasons is this code is used?

OK lets take what I would consider to be a typical UCCNC user with a rotary axis in a router or similar. Using inches and degrees.

The problem with G94 in this situation is the F60 means 60ipm movement of the tool though the work on a liniear axis.

Rotary axis is 60 dgrees per minute at F60

With the tool at 6 inches from the centre of rotation (12" dia), the tool movement through the work becomes 6.3 ipm

The tool at one inch from the centre of rotation (2" dia), the tool movement through the work becomes 1ipm. That is a LOT different from the 60ipm required.

One of the ways to deal with that is the use of G93. Inverse Time Feedrate Mode

A lot of the typical low end CAM software cannot produce G93 code but there are converters.

Look at this youtube video which is promoting one such converter. It als has a good explanation of the issue when using G94 on rotary axis work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0ffiCekhpE
Greolt

Postby velvetpig » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:41 am

I also would like to see G93 implemented.
If not, will have to switch between UCCNC and MACH3.
Cheers
All Australian Politicians should serve two terms.
One in Office and One in Jail.
velvetpig

Postby Greolt » Fri May 04, 2018 12:10 am

Just wanted to give this thread a bit of a bump. :)

I do a bit of rotary axis work and always have to go back to Mach3 because UCCNC lacks any integration of rotary axis features.

With Mach3 I have the option of using the "rotary axis feedrate compensation" feature (which works well)

Or using "Inverse time mode" G93. (which Mach3 supports)

Lately I have been favoring G93

I hope that the need to revert to Mach3 will pass.

G93 support would be a great starting point for the implementation of rotary axis features in UCCNC
Greolt

Postby Gary Campbell » Sat May 05, 2018 1:47 pm

cncdrive wrote:I have never used G93 so I just read after it and so now at least I now know what it is. :)
I'm not sure how hard or easy to implement it, will have to think it through first and talk to the collegues.
But I'm curios to ask that what is the practical reason to use the G93? I mean in what application and for what exact reason or reasons is this code is used?

Balazs..
IF implemented, G93 may be the only "support for rotary axes" that you would need to provide to gain seats for those that have rotary axes. I just did a rotary presentation that might explain why it is needed. (Assumes CAD postp will output inverse time feeds)

Rotary Blank.JPG

Rotary CAD.JPG

Rotary Feeds.JPG
Gary Campbell
CNC Technology & Training
Control & ATC Retrofits
gcnc411(at)gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
Gary Campbell

Postby Greolt » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:08 am

Vectric have released their latest update for what is a very popular CAM for router users. With a large established user base.

This update includes the ability to produce G93 code. As well as a number of integrated features aimed at rotary axis work.

UCCNC does not currently support G93. I hope this will be rectified soon.

It would be a shame if the lack of G93 support would deter sales of UCCNC.

UCCNC is very good controller but there is a lot of competition in this space, and most of that competition supports G93.
Greolt

Return to Feature Request