initialization

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

initialization

Postby Sailor » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:44 pm

I installed the uc100 yesterday, it updated the firmware and everything worked fine for 6-7 hours. I shut the machine and computer off (Win 7 64Bit) and the stepper motor controller. Today the Mach 3 software cannot find the UC100 and when I search the USB controllers in device manager, it is nowhere to be found.
The first controller did this a few times then worked so I just gave it up as a fluke. I cannot seem to get this controller to be recognized, yet when Mach3 starts it does ask me if I want to use the UC100.
I attempted to reinstall the setup drivers to no avail.

I will miss a deadline unless I get the machine back online soon, please send me some suggestions ASAP.

Regards,

Ken
Sailor

Re: initialization

Postby cncdrive » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:18 pm

This is not a mach3 forum, but a forum for the UCCNC software, so it would be better if you email our support at info@cncdrive.com or support@cncdrive.com or the reseller shop in case you purchased the device not directly.
But I'm happy to give you some ideas.

Mach3 asks to use the UC100 as long as the UC100 plugin .dll file is in the Mach3/Plugins folder and if the motion controller selection window is not disabled, in other words Mach3 will ask you this question always if the plugin is installed, no matter if the UC100 is not even connected to the computer.

If the UC100 does not show up in the Windows device manager then there is no physical connection between the computer and the USB chip of the UC100.
This means that the computer can't communicate with the device, it can't reach the device.
There should be a "UC100 motion controller" entry in the USB devices section if the device has a connection to the USB port and if Windows recognises the device (USB drivers installed),
or there should be an entry of an unknown device or FTDI device, the exact text depends on the Windows version.
If this is the case then you have to install the USB drivers for the device, because it was not installed or was disabled by Windows for some reasons (For example a bad/errorous Windows update.).
But in any cases, when you plugging the device in and out of the USB port if there is physical connection then you should see the Device manager to update, reload it's content at the time when you do the plugging in/out and then you can compare the list to see which one in the list is the UC100 in case if it comes up as a noname uninstalled device. So you can know that the connection is physically OK.

If the device does not show up at all then the connection is not working. Which can still have several reasons. A broken, or non conducting dusty/loosen USB port, broken USB cable, an electrically damaged UC100.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Sailor » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:49 pm

Thank you so very much.

It is definitely a windows 7 and UC100 communications problem. All worked then turning computer and machine off and restarting the next day, the UC100 just would not communicate with windows and did not show up in device manager. Perplexing problem because nothing in the setup had changed. I attempted installing drivers multiple time and finally, I used a program that installs drivers for all out of date devices if needed. "Driver Booster 4" The program did not add the driver but, once I shut down that program, the UC100 initialized.
I guess my request was for how do you force windows 7 (in particular) to acknowledge the UC100 is connected or to make the scan find it. I do not think the controller is faulty as it is now working perfectly. This is not the first time I experienced the communications problem so I am concerned.

I will try a different USB cable to see if that alleviates the problem. Right now I have the computer about 8 feet from the Stepper Controller and am using an extended cable. I will try without the extension to see if there is a connectivity problem using an extension.

I really appreciate the input, helps to better understand the intricacies of all the devices connecting to each other. :idea:

Regards,

Sailor
Sailor

Postby cncdrive » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:22 pm

You are welcome, I'm happy if I could help.

The most important thing to note in my opinion is that if the connection is physically OK then Windows must recognise and list the device in the device manager.
Even if the USB drivers are not installed at all the controller has to show up in the device manager. Without the drivers installed it is not sure that it will show up by the UC100 motion controller name, but at least you can verify if Windows even recognises the device, because it is then only depends on Windows to recognise the device. So, if the USB chip in the UC100 is electrically ok then the recognition should happen, if not then there is somekind of serious issue with Windows which I have never seen so far.
A different story is when Windows disables the device, then you can still see it in the device manager, just it will appear as an unkown device or FTDI device or it will be flagged with a yellow ? or red X and then reinstalling the drivers will resolve this. We saw this kind of issue several times, but with Windows 10 only. There were several Win 10. buggy updates recently which caused the UC100 drivers along with other drivers, e.g. printer drivers to go disabled, but then it is still an easy fix, just a bit annoying to see it happening without reason. In Windows 7 I did not see this so far, it is still the best Windows OS in my opinion. :)
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby CT63 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:29 pm

All USB cables are not the same in quality. An 8' USB cable is stretching the limits of usable length. You could try a powered USB hub if you need the extra distance.
CT63

Postby Sailor » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:32 pm

Thank you, both. I will move the computer closer, for now, will possibly use a powered hub to assist signal strength. I think having an extension is a bad idea, so I will definitely remedy that. I now have a much better understanding of how Windows communicates with USB devices and acknowledges their existence. Thank you again.

Sailor
Sailor

Postby Sailor » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:30 am

I like to complete inquiries like mine with results so that all that were involved or may be interested know the them.
CT63, you were correct concerning the USB cable, it was the culprit. The cable was the one that came with my UC100 two weeks ago. Even after I shortened the cables by removing the extension, I could not get it to reliably connect and give me a blue light. I replaced the cable with one I had in my junk drawer and the connection became reliable. ;) I never would have guessed a brand new cable would be intermittent.

Again, thank you for your assistance and teaching this old dog some new tricks about USB
Sailor
Sailor

Postby CT63 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:18 am

I've seen more than my fair share of defective USB cables some new out of the box and others that simply stopped working for no reason. But you are dealing with Chinese quality control. Glad it was something simple to fix. You should consider moving to UCCNC software and ditch buggy Mach 3. Mach 3 is a 10+ year old product and is not supported by ArtSoft. Mach 4 is not much better.
CT63

Postby Sailor » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:26 am

I will take a look at it, just had to replace the computer so funds are a little tight. Old Xp machine, love the UC100 and how smooth it is.
Sailor

Postby Sailor » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:17 am

An update to the UC100 initialization concerns. :cry:

It seems that the system once recognizes the UC100 initialized will continue to keep it in the device manager and will always come online when unplugged and plugged back in. However, once the PC is turned off and turned back on there is no guarantee that it will be recognized again, at least, not right away. I do not have a clear picture that finally makes the recognition possible, but after messing with it, which includes, plugging and unplugging, reinstalling the drivers and changing USB cables, 4 different ones from 1 foot to 6 foot long, it will just start to be recognized. I think it has always come back online after restarting the PC, which I do often in troubleshooting. :?:

The recognition just is not reliable. Very frustrating because I can not seem to find the cause, and am not thinking it is the unit itself. Perhaps the firmware or a bad solder joint in it. This round of trying to make it connect took two hours, yesterday it took 2 minutes and the day before 4 hours. For now, the solution is to keep the PC powered, once connected, so that I can use it the next day.

Eventually, it will get resolved.
Sailor

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here