UC400ETH controller strange movements

If you think you've found a bug post it here.

UC400ETH controller strange movements

Postby Ivan Ionov » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:12 am

Hello,

I'm trying to setup UC400ETH controller and get strange results.

Jog movements are fine,
single line G0 code execution seems to work,
G1 X100 F500 command does actual movement with 2 seconds delay (DTG value is increasing first, then movement starts and X value is changing on the screen)
Run of G code file does only 1st movement, then no actual motion is going on until file stops.

See my screen video -
https://youtu.be/P1tqeovH1N0

I'm using latest 1.2042 software
the controller is connected via switch to local network.
Ivan Ionov

Re: UC400ETH controller strange movements

Postby cncdrive » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:33 pm

We've seen this a few times and it was always a network problem.
The issue is that the controller requires for the network to reply within 20msec in order for the system to work properly.
This is not a problem though because a network should respond within 1msec according to Microsoft, so it is well within what the UCCNC requires.

The issue happens if there something is setup incorrectly, for example if the network card is not working correctly, e.g. it's drivers has a problem, or if the network router delays or mixing up messages.

Could you please check the communication loop latency graph in the Configuration/Profiles/Statistics window.
The latency normally should never run to the maximum (20msec), otherwise there will be problems and it is an indication that something is wrong with the network.
I'm attaching an image about how a normal statistics graph looks like.

You can also test if the same issue happens or not with direct connection narrowing down the problem to the network card or the router.
Attachments
Statisticspng.png
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Ivan Ionov » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:06 pm

I see in statistic window, latency is around 1ms when I Jog manualy or do nothing, but on every G command it goes above 20ms for some period.

I'll try to find and install separate network card for the controller.
Ivan Ionov

Postby cncdrive » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Ivan,

First try to reinstall the ethernet card drivers, because mostly that helps as the problem might be that the drivers are not installed and Windows used somekind of unoptimal default drivers from the Windows updates. So, try to get the most up to date drivers from the manufacturer's website and install that.
Also check if the issue still happens with direct connection without the router/switch, so you will see if the issue is with the network card or with the router.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby CT63 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:28 pm

If this is a Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade machine, for some reason the Ethernet diver can get corrupt during the upgrade process. I had it happen to me on two machines. Delete the driver and re-install it.
CT63

Postby Ivan Ionov » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:03 am

Hello,

I tried direct connection with cross cable on another computer. Here is a screen with my network settings.

Here is a result video with latest official 1.2037 version -
profile is default, without any changes
https://youtu.be/U2HhMUe6KV8

from x100 position I enter -
G1 X0 F200
3 seconds pause with large network traffic then 2 seconds motion

I try higher feedrate -
from X0
G1 X100 F1000
1 second pause and no movement at all

I retry with lower feedrate -
G1 X100 F500
3 seconds pause then 3 seconds motion

I try very low feedrate -
from x100
G1 X0 F50
extra long pause (35seconds), 4MB transfered over network, no movement at all

jog movements with keyboard are fine without any delay
Attachments
net_uccnc.png
Ivan Ionov

Postby cncdrive » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:45 pm

OK, I see. Then the issue will be with the network card or with it's driver, because it is clear that it responds over 20msec which is not OK for the UCCNC, it can't work with this condition.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby CT63 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:26 pm

Awhile back another member had the exact same problem. Reloading the Ethernet driver solved the problem.
CT63

Postby cncdrive » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:38 pm

Yes, the same thing happened to a few customers and the issue was always with the network and was always solved with an updated network card driver or with installing a new network card and I also remember a case when it was a router issue, when the router had somekind of a problem.
And you are right that updating from Windows 7. to 10. can kill the drivers which can cause strange issues.
The last time when I've updated one of our computers to Windows 10. I ended up with reinstalling everything, because the updater caused so much issues. The fresh installation of Win10 was the only solution to make everything to work properly. The issues were not UCCNC related though, just other Windows problems...
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Ivan Ionov » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:00 pm

I run successfuly UC400ETH controller with Dlink PCI card.

My laptop with broadcom network adapter still unable to work correctly with it. Latest drivers don't help.

I think test connection utility should make some real connection test (latency test?) to warn about this problem.
Ivan Ionov

Return to Report a bug