Braking Resistor - DC Spindle Motor Setup

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Braking Resistor - DC Spindle Motor Setup

Postby FabianT » Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:54 pm

Hello
My project is a retrofit of an Intelitek Super Prolight 1000. I’ve replaced the stepper drives and control the motors with a UC400 ETH and (2) UCSB. However, I’ve retained the original Baldor DC spindle motor and Minarik PCM 21000A DC driver card. The card is switched on/off via a 2PDT relay (Dayton 1A491M). That brings in the braking resistor by closing the normally open contacts upon reverse polarity. So, I can click ‘Spindle CW’ to start the spindle and ‘Spindle CCW’ to stop and draw in the resistor for faster braking. I can rename the buttons to ‘ON’ and ‘OFF’, no problem.

Where I need help is that I would also like the E-Stop and limit switches to trigger the same function as the ‘Spindle CCW’ button, i.e. engage the braking resistor. Can this be done within the setup of UCCNC? Would there be additional wiring/pin configuration?

Also, there seems to be odd functionality in that I must first do a one-time MIDI M3 command prior to clicking the ‘Spindle CW’ button to have the spindle start. Thereafter the spindle will start with just a single button press. I would prefer not having to need that initial MIDI command.

Attached are screenshots of my setup pages.

Spindle-SU.jpg

E-Stop.jpg

Thank you for your suggestions. Any workarounds would be appreciated.

Thomas
FabianT

Re: Braking Resistor - DC Spindle Motor Setup

Postby cncdrive » Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:40 am

In a macro you could check if the Reset button is active or not and do something, e.g. you could call a button or activate or deactivate an output etc.
I copied an example code below which just shows you the template.
Ofcourse this could be further developed and optimized for your appliaction.
E.g. you could define variable to store the previous state of the reset button and compare that with the current reset button state to see if the current state differs from the previous state or not and then only execute something if the state changed. (Just an idea)

Code: Select all
if(AS3.Getbuttonstate(144) //Check if the reset button is active
{
   //Do something
   //e.g.
   //exec.Callbutton(...);
}
else //If the reset button is not active
{
   //Do something else
   //e.g.
   //exec.Callbutton(...);
}
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby FabianT » Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:56 am

cncdrive wrote:In a macro you could check if the Reset button is active or not and do something, e.g. you could call a button or activate or deactivate an output etc.
I copied an example code below which just shows you the template.
Ofcourse this could be further developed and optimized for your appliaction.
E.g. you could define variable to store the previous state of the reset button and compare that with the current reset button state to see if the current state differs from the previous state or not and then only execute something if the state changed. (Just an idea)
}[/code]

Thank you for the input. As I am just getting started with this I could use any tutorial that might be available. Is there a pdf or YouTube available.

Also, is the 'click first' behavior of the spindle start function normal or can UCCNC be set to not require the MIDI input first?

Thomas
FabianT

Postby FabianT » Thu Aug 29, 2024 12:06 pm

Hello

I found the forum postings and will dig into writing my own custom macro. But I may post some questions as they arise.

Still would like to understand the MIDI/Spindle start behavior.

Thanks again

Thomas
FabianT

Postby cncdrive » Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:02 pm

I don't know why is that spindle on behaviour, I think you should measure the signals to see if it is the UCCNC or the VFD which causing it.
I mean I would check which signal (if any) is missing for the first button press.
Also you can check the diagnostics page of the UCCNC to see what the UCCNC thinks about those signals.

You could check the UCCNC/Documentation of your installation about macro writting.
Also Robertspark (search on the forum) posted a more complete macroing documentation.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to Ask a question from support here