Why not open source some of UCCNC

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Why not open source some of UCCNC

Postby rmoen » Tue Aug 20, 2024 4:20 am

New to UCCNC - just got a C94 board w/ uc300eth.

Spent a hour trying to figure out why i couldn't get a pin to activate (16, port 2) and decided to uninstall 1.2115 and try 1.2113, and volla, it worked. No idea why. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling 1.2115 but that didn't make a difference.

Looking at the forum and facebook page, there seems to be a growing frustration around software releases, either too infrequent, new versions having issues, etc. Why not open source parts of the project so people can just fix some of the stuff? I'm a former c# dev, but heck I'd even just update documentation if it helped the greater good. I'm sure you could keep the license part closed source, so you wouldn't change licensing etc.

Come on, let's make this thing even better.
rmoen

Re: Why not open source some of UCCNC

Postby ger21 » Tue Aug 20, 2024 11:39 pm

UCCNC is under constant development, with new features constantly being added. Bugs are fixed with every new release.
The previous release was a massive update, with a ton of new features. The last update was released 3 weeks ago.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:18 am

I don't think it would be a good idea to make it open source as it could lead to unverified codes and software versions causing problems to customers.
We made a new release 3 weeks ago and already working on the next release.

I'm not sure why your code did not work with switching the output, but maybe you can show your code to let us check.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Precision Composites » Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:57 pm

ger21 wrote:UCCNC is under constant development, with new features constantly being added. Bugs are fixed with every new release.
The previous release was a massive update, with a ton of new features. The last update was released 3 weeks ago.

What's the latest update? Still showing 1.2113 on the website.
Precision Composites

Postby cncdrive » Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:39 pm

All updates are listed here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=240&start=50
Latest one is 1.2117, but 1.2118 is on it's way soon.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby charliem » Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:05 am

Latest one is 1.2117, but 1.2118 is on it's way soon

But aren't these beta releases and not official releases?
Regards
Charlie M
charliem

Postby A_Camera » Sun Sep 08, 2024 7:58 pm

rmoen wrote:New to UCCNC - just got a C94 board w/ uc300eth.

Spent a hour trying to figure out why i couldn't get a pin to activate (16, port 2) and decided to uninstall 1.2115 and try 1.2113, and volla, it worked. No idea why. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling 1.2115 but that didn't make a difference.

Looking at the forum and facebook page, there seems to be a growing frustration around software releases, either too infrequent, new versions having issues, etc. Why not open source parts of the project so people can just fix some of the stuff? I'm a former c# dev, but heck I'd even just update documentation if it helped the greater good. I'm sure you could keep the license part closed source, so you wouldn't change licensing etc.

Come on, let's make this thing even better.

UCCNC is not a freeware. It's a commercial product.

If you have issues with the test versions then don't install them, use only the official releases.
A_Camera

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software