Program update

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Program update

Postby bhdavis » Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:05 am

Has there been any change in UCCNC since 1.2.111 that would prevent it from running on a Windows 7 laptop? I'm trying to update from 1.2111 to 1.2113. On program startup I get an error message and then the program freezes with a solid light gray screen.

Researching the archives here I see I should check the video driver and will do that later today. Once I do that if the problem persists I'll copy/paste the error message here.

I've just added the Rapidchange ATC the system so want to do some screen edits. I figured it would be a good time to do the upgrade and rework the newer screen to my needs from scratch.

Thanks,
BH
bhdavis

Re: Program update

Postby bhdavis » Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:58 pm

Don't know why but on 4th or 5th try while new video driver was downloading it started up.

Question 1: When first booting 1.2113 it updates the firmware. When done with using 1.2113 for the moment and then restarting with 1.2111 it does another firmware update. This goes back and forth with each of the two versions wanting to update the firmware. Is different firmware required for the two different versions?

Question 2: When I installed 1.2113 the only option was to leave or overwrite the previous profile files. Leaving the old profile is a problem because I have a custom screen that won't load as of course the screen isn't compatible. But I need everything else in the old profile. Not saving the old profile gives means I have to recreate all my settings. I could copy the macro files over to 1.2113 but I don't see how just copying them over will give me all my settings. Can someone give me some guidance here?

Thanks,
BH
bhdavis

Postby ger21 » Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:33 pm

1) Yes.
2) Never use the default profile. Go to the Profile section of screen, and create a new profile with desktop shortcut. This will be a duplicate of your current profile, and will not get overwritten during updates.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby bhdavis » Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:54 pm

Gerry,

I have multiple backups in various locations on the CNC laptop and on my desktop computer. So I'm not going to lose the files......although one should never say never......chuckle.

I do not use the default profile. My custom screen and macros are in a custom profile named something like BHD2. Are you saying to copy that custom profile to my desktop and then LOAD it into Version 1.2113 once it is running? When I tried something like that it said "SCREEN FILE CANNOT BE FOUND". It's of course a screen from the older version so not a match to the screen from 1.2113.

I can see how there should be no problem with all my custom macros. I just don't see how 1.2113 can open without it's own default screen.

Thanks,
BH
bhdavis

Postby ger21 » Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:40 am

If you open your profile file in Notepad, you can edit the screen name, right near the top. Open the new default profile to see what the actual name should be.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby bhdavis » Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:26 pm

Thank you Gerry. Make sense. I never tried to edit the .pro files before. Now I see they are just txt files.

Much appreciated.
BH
bhdavis

Postby EssaMattou » Tue Aug 20, 2024 6:57 am

Thank you for sharing. It is very helpful.
EssaMattou

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software