Connecting Delta VFD-B to UB1 - spindle not working

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Connecting Delta VFD-B to UB1 - spindle not working

Postby 750ml » Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:28 pm

I am trying to get my U300ETH/UB1 to operate my spindle through my Delta VFD022B21A. I have connected it as follows:

UB1 Delta VFD B
----------------------------
AL1 --> ACM
AO1 --> AVI
AH1 --> +10V

NO1 --> FWD
CM1 --> DCM

I have set up the spindle parameters in UCCNC to match those in the manual (attached image show the manual's instructions on top, my setup underneath). I can click the [SPINDLE CW] button and hear a click in the VFD, but the spindle does not turn. It appears to me by the VFD B manual that the spindle speed connections are 0-10V analog (second image show the UB1 manual's instructions to the left and VFD connections to the right).

What seems incongruous to me is that the UB1 manual instructs to set up a "PWM Spindle" when clearly by both manuals it is an analog cct. (In fact one has to connect a solder bridge for the UB1 to output a PWM signal.) But when I unclick "PWM spindle" on the UB1, the "Step/direction spindle" section becomes active and I do not know how to set that up/what parameters to input.

I would be grateful for suggestions on how to get the spindle to turn.
Screenshot 2024-06-28 074707.png
UCCNC spindle configuration

Screenshot 2024-06-28 081104.png
spindle speed connections
750ml

Re: Connecting Delta VFD-B to UB1 - spindle not working

Postby ger21 » Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:06 pm

The UB1 converts the PWM signal to the analog signal. That's why you select PWM in UCCNC.
When you try to start the spindle, do you have an RPM set in UCCNC?
Measure between AVI and ACM and see if the voltage is correct, and changes when you change RPM.
I suspect you have a setting or two in the VFD set incorrectly.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby 750ml » Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:58 am

Thanks for responding.
I have set the spindle speed both by setting the [S] slider under the MDI then clicking [SPINDLE CW] and by running "M03 S5000" at the MDI. I hear a relay click each time in the VFD, but no spindle rotation.
I have confirmed 10V between ACM <--> +10V on the VFD. There is no exposed metal on the UB1 connections to which one can apply a VOM.
750ml

Postby 750ml » Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:38 pm

First, because it likely was not clear, I installed the U300ETH/UB1 in a machine that is 15+ years old, replacing a failed DeskCNC controller. By extension, all the connections & VFD settings were set by the original mfgr when he delivered the machine to me those many years ago. All was "black box" to me until my foray into replacing that old controller & breakout board with the new one.

By way of update, should this help others. This is what I found:
  • There is a switch setting inside the VFD labelled "Source" or "Sink". I read up on what that means generally but didn't know the exact ramifications on my system. It was set to "Source". Trying to make sense of the VFD-B manual, I noticed in small print that the factory setting is "Sink". With somewhat blind faith, I switched it back to "Sink". Powered up again, and found that I could cause the spindle to rotate and stop using "M03" and "M05". However, any adjustment to spindle speed setting was non-functional.
  • I reviewed the VFD parameter settings, and as ger21 suggested. There is a VFD setting "02-00: Source of First Master Frequency command" which is set at the factory to be adjusted by the digital keypad on the VFD. Among the other options for this setting is "0 to +10V from AVI". I updated the setting to this option, and I am now able to vary the spindle speed based on setting 'S' at the MDI or by issuing a "M03 SXXXX" command where XXXX is the spindle speed.

Thanks to ger21 for his explanation & push to check further. I have been "fighting" this upgrade for better than a week (at least the spindle part) running mostly blind but it looks like I can proceed to next steps. Now to run some test programs to see how the machine responds.
750ml

Return to Hardware