Laser Plugin

This is where you talk about Plugins. How they are made and how they work, show examples.

Laser Plugin

Postby jaysmedley » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Possible to set the angle of motion when using the laser plugin, e.g. 45 or 135 degrees to make the path cross the grain when etching bitmaps.
jaysmedley

Re: Laser Plugin

Postby cncdrive » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:25 pm

There is no such option, the laser plugin can only engrave in the direction of the X-axis and change lines in the direction of the Y.

I don't understand why do you want it to go 45 or 135°though?
Normally you should setup the rows distance to be the equal the thickness of the laser beam, so the picture image will be continous.
Do you want empty stripes in the image is why you want it to go in 45 or 135°?
If so then you should edit the picture image with a painting software to have the stripes.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Re: Laser Plugin

Postby jaysmedley » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:41 am

I don't think I explained myself clearly. There would not be stripes in the image. If the path ran on a 45 or 135 degree angle the step would effectively be reduced by a factor of 0.7071 due to the angle. Example below:

The reasoning for wanting to etch on an angle is it would allow for the laser to cross the grain of the wood no matter which direction the grain runs when the job is set up on the machine. In my experience the finished etchings on wood look better when etched across the grain. To get the path to cross the grain on a 45 degree angle, I now have to rotate the picture and let the machine run over the blank space.

Highlighted below:

Thanks for your response and consideration.
jaysmedley

Return to Plugins