UCCNC ETH300/UB1 Servo Alarm Setup

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

UCCNC ETH300/UB1 Servo Alarm Setup

Postby pupdogg » Mon May 14, 2018 9:32 pm

I was provided the attached wiring diagram from the AC Servo manufacturer. I have the STEP/DIR and ENA capability working but am having issues trying to wrap my head around the ALARM input from the servo to the UB1 board. How would you advise configuring it inside UCCNC? Do I need to set it up as an input trigger tied to the E-STOP function? Also, wiring wise, I have the ALARM output from SERVO.P18 going to -> UB1.X210 and SERVO.P5 COMM pin to -> UB1.0V on the input side. Is that correct? Any detailed help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Paul Davis
5x10' CNC Router
UCCNC, ETH300, UB1, DMM Servos
pupdogg

Re: UCCNC ETH300/UB1 Servo Alarm Setup

Postby cncdrive » Mon May 14, 2018 10:16 pm

The drawing looks OK.
There are several ways to handle the alarm. If the alarm is a safety signal then you can attach it to the e-stop input in the UCCNC or to a limit input.
You can also attach the signal to an input trigger and attach it to call a Reset or Stop function.
The difference is that the e-stop and limit inputs are handled directly by the motion controller and the input triggers are handled on the software side. And the limit and e-stop input pins while active then you can't remove the reset in the software (except the limit if you override them.) and the input triggers are signal edge triggers, so you can remove the reset after it happened, because the signal happens only when the input changes logic state, then the trigger function is called once.
You could also write macroloop to monitor the alarm if it is not a safety signal and if it does not have to stop the machine, but you want to see when it happens then you could make a macroloop to e.g. attach a virtual LED on the screen or write a Status message etc.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Weerasak » Tue May 15, 2018 5:02 pm

Code: Select all
Reference to the asked email.

"I’m really enjoying the UB1 breakout board but was having an issue trying to wrap my head around how to wire up my servo’s ALARM pin out into the UB1’s safety circuit? I’ve posted the issue on CNCDrive for public discussion as well at https://www.forum.cncdrive.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1242. Any technical guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. The servo manufacturer advised wiring to X205 input where as I think I need to start with X103...is it true that if I solder the bridge underneath X103 that it should work as the ALM out is working off 5V? I’ve made a private video of my setup here and for time being I’m just testing with X axis and have the servos disengaged from the rack. Video here: https://youtu.be/5W_9eTyRxZM"

The information from the table below shows that the ALM (P18) output able to carry voltage/current up to 30V/50mA. So, you can benefit the safety circuit and overriding of UB1 board by connecting ALM (P18) to X103...X110.
Notice that solder bright for that input need to be soldered too.

Weerasak
http://www.CNCRoom.com
UCCNC, UB1 Motherboard for UC300ETH
Weerasak

Postby pupdogg » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:32 pm

I have a question in regards to the UB1 Breakout Board's Safety Circuit. I'm running 4x servo drives with their ALARM output wired to i103 thru i106. In order to have these inputs trigger Estop, I soldered the solder-bridges on the PCB as per documentation. See attached pictures. However, my problem is that I can't get the Estop to trigger using any of these inputs. I CAN simulate a successful Estop by going directly to i102. Also, the manual mentions that i103 comes default with solder-bridge from the factory and even this input does not trigger the safety circuit. I am pretty sure that I'm overlooking something very simple. UCCNC profile IS configured for Estop on Port1 Pin2. Can someone help? What am I missing?
Attachments
DxXGbyO.jpg
UB1_Rear_Close_Up
qz6rbd1.jpg
UB1_Rear_General_View
Paul Davis
5x10' CNC Router
pupdogg

Postby cncdrive » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:19 pm

You can determinate if a signal is getting to the UCCNC software side with simply checking the virtual LEDs of the input pins on the Diagnostics page.
So, if you change the input (pressing and releasing) the e-stop button then if that signal is getting through to the software then you will see which virtual LED is changing state.
If you see that then you can configure the e-stop input to that input port and pin number.

If the signal is not getting through then something is wrong with the connection or on the board.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby pupdogg » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:47 pm

@cncdrive: sorry, I forgot to mention in my post that the signal IS in fact getting to UCCNC from all inputs i102-i106. Only i102 is triggering the Estop while others get acknowledged by both UB1 and the software but don't trigger an Estop.
Paul Davis
5x10' CNC Router
pupdogg

Postby cncdrive » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:35 pm

You can only attach one e-stop input in the software, so the question is how did you configure multiply e-stop inputs?
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby pupdogg » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:21 pm

@cncdrive: correct, you can only define 1 Estop, which in my case is defined as UB1 Port #1, Pin #2 (also referred to as i102 or X102). Attached image UB1_Safety_Override shows how you can bridge multiple inputs into the OSSD Output and Safety Circuit utilizing the solder bridges. An example of this setup is also shown in UB1 documentation Safety Circuit 1 (see attached). The only difference in my case is that my drive fault (aka servo drive ALARM output) is wired to i103, i104, i105, i106 (aka X103, X104, X105, X106) for X, Y, Z and A axis respectively. Also see attached screenshot of the UB1 manual going into detail about the solder-bridges underneath the board. What are your thoughts?
Attachments
SS_2018_07_01_31.png
UB1_Safety_Override
SS_2018_07_01_30.png
UB1_Safety_Circuit_1
SS_2018_07_01_29.png
UB1_Safety_Circuit_Inputs
Paul Davis
5x10' CNC Router
pupdogg

Postby cncdrive » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:47 pm

From my understanding about the diagrams you linked all those inputs are OR wired to i102 which you said is port#1 and pin#2 and so then you have to set that for e-stop and then all those inputs should trigger the same input pin and so the e-stop in the UCCNC.
So, if the board is not OR wiring all those inputs then it is not working as per the sheet you linked or maybe you misswired those modifications the manual is mentioning.
You will have to ask CNCroom about this issue.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby pupdogg » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:15 pm

I figured @weerasak would respond here since I was replying to his post. As far as miswired or soft configuration, that is not the case. Each input responds to incoming ALARM signal as it should. The only thing that is not happening is that, despite having the solder-bridge established, they are not triggering Estop as mentioned in their docs. It’s something to do with the solder-bridge functionality. Maybe I’m not understanding Weerasaks definition of solder-bridge. I’m sure he can advise in more detail after looking at the pix of my PCB. It would be helpful to have show a visual example of a solder bridge in the UB1 manual as well.
Paul Davis
5x10' CNC Router
pupdogg

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here