Stepcraft Screenset with UI in mind

If you created a new screenset and want to share it with others then please post it here. You can talk about screens here.

Re: Stepcraft Screenset with UI in mind

Postby Roby » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:41 am

Can someone please help me debug a strange issue.

I have an "offline" profile named Offline.pro funnily enough which uses the Stepcraft_2046 screenset. I start UCCNC with the command "C:\UCCNC\2115\UCCNC.exe /p Offline" and UCCNC opens as expected with the awesome e Stepcraft_2046 screenset.

I have another profile which is an exact copy of Offline.pro called Test.pro. When I start UCCNC with this profile ("C:\UCCNC\2115\UCCNC.exe /p Test") the main UCCNC window opens immediately with no content. I think it is failing to load the screen files.

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on, or if there is a log file that I can check for errors?

I note that if I edit Test.pro and set the screenset back to Default2019 UCCNC opens as expected.

I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance!
Roby

Postby ger21 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:20 am

Open the profiles and compare the screenset names in them. Are they exactly the same?
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby Daywalker » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:23 pm

Roby wrote:Can someone please help me debug a strange issue.

I have an "offline" profile named Offline.pro funnily enough which uses the Stepcraft_2046 screenset. I start UCCNC with the command "C:\UCCNC\2115\UCCNC.exe /p Offline" and UCCNC opens as expected with the awesome e Stepcraft_2046 screenset.

I have another profile which is an exact copy of Offline.pro called Test.pro. When I start UCCNC with this profile ("C:\UCCNC\2115\UCCNC.exe /p Test") the main UCCNC window opens immediately with no content. I think it is failing to load the screen files.

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on, or if there is a log file that I can check for errors?

I note that if I edit Test.pro and set the screenset back to Default2019 UCCNC opens as expected.

I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance!

I have the same Issue, with the Demo Device "UC300ETH_UB1". When i use the UC100 Demo Device, the Screen works :-/
Regards from Germany
Udo

(UC300ETH & UB1)
[Yeah, I use a Translator ;-) ]
Daywalker

Postby Roby » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:29 pm

Thanks everyone for your help.

Using the UC100 demo device did the trick in demo mode.

Sadly, I can't use this screenset with my Axiom CNC because it uses UC400ETH and for some reason UCCNC doesn't load the screenset when this driver is used.

Hopefully someone from cncdrive sees this and can advise how to enable logging in UCCNC on startup and/or how to overcome this issue.
Roby

Postby cncdrive » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:49 pm

The screenset has separate entries for each motion controller (UC100, UC400ETH, UC300ETH etc.), so the author of the screenset probably did not make the screenset definition available in the UC400ETH motion controller's entry in the screenset file. In this case the screenset does not load if a UC400ETH is used.
The solution is to define the UC400ETH in the screenset, the author of the screenset can do that, however because the UC400ETH has different I/Os than the UC100 therefor the screenset definition for the UC100 will not work out of the box for the UC400ETH, you or the author has to make changes on it to make it 100% compatible with the UC400ETH, e.g. the I/O LEDs are different, the UC100 has port 1. only while the UC400ETH has port 1. and 2. also.
So, the screenset code from the UC100 entry has to be modified and placed in the UC400ETH entry then it will work fully compatibly with the UC400ETH also.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Roby » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:25 am

Sad face. If someone is willing to point me in the right direction, I'm happy to have a go at creating a UC400ETH version of the screenset (hopefully with the single code base).
Roby

Postby 2046 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:21 am

cncdrive wrote:The screenset has separate entries for each motion controller (UC100, UC400ETH, UC300ETH etc.), so the author of the screenset probably did not make the screenset definition available in the UC400ETH motion controller's entry in the screenset file. In this case the screenset does not load if a UC400ETH is used.
The solution is to define the UC400ETH in the screenset, the author of the screenset can do that, however because the UC400ETH has different I/Os than the UC100 therefor the screenset definition for the UC100 will not work out of the box for the UC400ETH, you or the author has to make changes on it to make it 100% compatible with the UC400ETH, e.g. the I/O LEDs are different, the UC100 has port 1. only while the UC400ETH has port 1. and 2. also.
So, the screenset code from the UC100 entry has to be modified and placed in the UC400ETH entry then it will work fully compatibly with the UC400ETH also.

As the screenset is based on Stepcraft version which communicates over UC100 I believe the screenset does not contains the UC400ETH, e.g.
If anyone makes appropriate changes to the screenset you can either make new pull request on github or pack the file to a zip for example and send it to me and I'll update the github repo so that others can use it too.

Many thanks for the feedbacks.

Postby ger21 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:52 am

Roby wrote:Sad face. If someone is willing to point me in the right direction, I'm happy to have a go at creating a UC400ETH version of the screenset (hopefully with the single code base).

Simple way to get you started.
Open the screenset file in Notepad, and copy and paste the entire contents in another copy of Notepad.

At the beginning, replace

//REGION UC100
if (mainform.userselecteddevtype == UC100.DeviceType.Demo_mode || mainform.userselecteddevtype == UC100.DeviceType.Demo_UC100 || mainform.userselecteddevtype == UC100.DeviceType.UC100)

with

//REGION UC400ETH
if (mainform.userselecteddevtype == UC100.DeviceType.UC400ETH || mainform.userselecteddevtype == UC100.DeviceType.Demo_UC400ETH)

And at the end, replace

//ENDREGION UC100

with

//ENDREGION UC400ETH

Then, select all and copy, and paste it at the end of the original screenset and save.

This will get you a working screen, but you'll be missing some settings that the UC100 deos not support. Adding them will likely be a considerable amount of work, but the screen should work withour them.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby Roby » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:38 pm

Thanks Gerry. Is this how the Default screenset is implemented (ie. a number of totally independent different files)? The other approach would be to enable/disable the specific features of each controller using If statements, but I guess that could also get quite messy.
Roby

Postby cncdrive » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:26 pm

One screenset is one file, but it can contain entries (Regions) for several motion controllers.
When the UCCNC loads the screenset file it searches for the line with the "//REGION" keyword and after the type of the motion controller, e.g. "//REGION UC400ETH".
So, if you running the software with the UC400ETH then it will load the UC400ETH region from the screenset.
cncdrive
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Custom Screensets