UCCNC Screen Editor Web App

If you created a new screenset and want to share it with others then please post it here. You can talk about screens here.

Re: UCCNC Screen Editor Web App

Postby zerodivide » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:57 pm

X3msnake wrote:Any chance you share the sourcecode of your tool on a git repo?
Would allow for better issues management and community contributions to your code

Hi. I initially was thinking about selling it as some sort of subscription, but it doesn't seem to gather enough interest.

So I just decided to open-source it:
https://github.com/swindex/UCCNCScreenEditor

I don't have time right now to create a readme with "getting started" instructions, but you can create issues
zerodivide

Postby X3msnake » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:14 am

Awsome Master. Thanks for making it available to the community openly
Do add a Paypall Donate Button to the project ;)
X3msnake

Postby zerodivide » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:11 am

X3msnake wrote:Awsome Master. Thanks for making it available to the community openly

You are welcome.

There is Donate button on the app landing page. but I got exactly 0 donations so far, so if figured UCCNC users just don't care enough for something like this :)
zerodivide

Postby cncdrive » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:53 am

Unfortunately it is like that with donations. When we posted the PCBMill (PCB tracks countour to g-code) software for free with a donation button on the help page, well nobody ever donated, but people often asking about support for it and ofcourse we always helped.
So, I guess it is what it is with free software. :(
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby A_Camera » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:52 pm

zerodivide wrote:
X3msnake wrote:Awsome Master. Thanks for making it available to the community openly

You are welcome.

There is Donate button on the app landing page. but I got exactly 0 donations so far, so if figured UCCNC users just don't care enough for something like this :)

I have offered my Probe screen and macros for several years 100% free of charge, with documentation and user manual and no Donate button, yet during these years not more than a handful of people said "Thank you" even though I know that many people are using it. I received many complaints from people who could not follow my step by step instructions so they got into trouble because they did not bother to read the manual. When I helped out they just stopped communicating after they got it working. When the screen stopped working because of some changes in UCCNC, I received a lot of complains again. Now I have fixed it and released a new version, and know that many have downloaded it and use it again. So far one person said thanks... :lol: apart from a friend of mine.

Never the less, if you expect donations I think you must wait a while before you receive any and I also think you should document it. It's not easy to make money via Donate buttons. Remember that very few people are actually editing the screens, and if they do then they have to find yours first before they can donate. I didn't even know you fixed the thing about folders so I never tried after that short discussion a few months back, and maybe it wouldn't be easier for me to to use your solution than doing it the old way. What I mean is that the old ones, like me and Gerry, there may not be any benefit in it, quite the opposite, a lot of extra work, and newcomers are less and less. Never the less, I wish you good luck.
A_Camera

Postby ger21 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:46 am

I think I agree with what he's saying. Maybe it's just because I'm old, but I much prefer the built in screen editor in UCCNC. I'll try new things anytime I see them, but it's very rare that I'll change the way I do things, after I've been doing it a certain way for years.
I've been selling screensets for 10 years, and people are very happy to pay me $25 to do all the work for them. Thousands of people have bought my Mach3 screen. The number of people making their own screens is probably 0.001% And if they are just making screens for themselves, they're not likely to pay for a screen editor.
I'd donate if it was for something really good that I used all the time. Not likely for something I'd use once or twice.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby zerodivide » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:51 am

LOL Jesus, guys!

I wasn't even complaining. Just gave my reasoning for open-sourcing it now and not earlier.

I enjoyed making it and if I was salty in any way sure as hell, I wouldn't open it up:)

More of a two-weekend side-project.
zerodivide

Postby zerodivide » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:08 am

Hello,

Just a heads up. I made an update a couple if weeks ago where I fixes some bugs and added a warning that file operations are not permitted for Sample screeners, that you can load from the online location.

It is still available here:
https://snapwebapps.com/uccnceditor/
zerodivide

Postby krsykes23 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:48 pm

Hi,

I'm trying out the WebApp but I also get errors when loading the image files. It says that the images cannot be found!

I load the screenset first from C:/UCCNC/Screens, then I select C:\UCCNC\Flashscreen\BMP\Defaultscreenset....but none of the images load.

What am I doing wrong?
krsykes23

Postby marteng » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:28 am

NIce! well done guys.
marteng

PreviousNext

Return to Custom Screensets