tracking platform for large format portable telescope

If you milled something cool and you want to show it to others post it here.

tracking platform for large format portable telescope

Postby dhanger » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:41 pm

I started this project 11 years ago after I built my 14" Dobsonian telescope and needed a tracking device for it. Since this class of telescope won't fit a traditional tripod mount some ingenious people developed what's known as an equatorial platform, which mimics the motion of an equatorial mount but limited in run time. All the platforms I looked at (mostly DIY and a couple of commercial versions) had one limitation: they are designed and built for one specific latitude. They can be moved a few degrees north or south and shimmed up but eventually the design fails outside of that range. Being the CNC guy I came up with a solution that runs on an Arduino and works mathematically correct for any latitude on earth, dubbed the Global Equatorial Platform (GEP). I started the project back when I was using LinuxCNC but I converted to UCCNC in the middle of it, so at least some of it was manufactured using UCCNC so I decided I was within my rights to post it here :mrgreen:

This photo shows my scope sitting on an early birch plywood prototype:

Desktop Background.jpg

After that I converted to aluminum, this is the latest version (of the platform, not me :lol: ):

20180728_145640.jpg

Clip of circuit board making, using UCCNC and autoleveller:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f2pHb6sdiMaz95Xm6

Dan Hanger
dhanger

Return to What you've made with your machine post the pictures, videos here