Improving my vise - dry milling aluminium with good results

If you milled something cool and you want to show it to others post it here.

Improving my vise - dry milling aluminium with good results

Postby A_Camera » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:36 pm

I have a low profile aluminium vise, which is excellent for plastic and PCB works or other things which need a shallow grip. It is a center gripping type, which is a good idea in some situations, but not always. So I decided to make some small modifications, milled two new jaw traces at each end. I also made the bolt pockets larger because the original ones does not allow the use of washers. Here is a short video about the modifications I made. Enjoy.

This was the first time I milled aluminium with my upgraded DIY CNC. I am surprised about the results considering all the loud opinions on cnczone about dry milling aluminium. Very satisfying and nice results in my opinion. I know some people will disagree with me, but I will continue milling aluminium without lubricant. For now, I see no problems with dry milling. Of course, the speeds must be right, but it seems to work just fine.
A_Camera

Re: Improving my vise - dry milling aluminium with good resu

Postby beefy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:47 am

I'm trying to think what is was when I dry milled aluminium but what I do remember is the nice smooth shiny finish. Not so easy to get that with steel.

I was not aware there was a lot of opinions on this matter but like yourself, my experience dry milling was good.

Maybe it can get even better with the right cutting fluid :D

Keith.
beefy

Re: Improving my vise - dry milling aluminium with good resu

Postby A_Camera » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:23 pm

I don't think my machine is capable of steel milling but I was surprised about how easily it cuts aluminium with such nice and clean results. I am not sure it would be better if I used any cutting fluid, but I am sure it can be improved even more. Anyway, as a first time, I am very satisfied with the results.
A_Camera

Return to What you've made with your machine post the pictures, videos here