Highly Modified Taig with R8 Spindle/PDB and DMM 750W Servo

If you milled something cool and you want to show it to others post it here.

Re: Highly Modified Taig with R8 Spindle/PDB and DMM 750W Se

Postby ThreeDJ16 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:04 am

LoL, this wasn't a dick measuring contest, simply the fact your post was a bit condescending towards a long time customer of UNCNC.

Computers for the home weren't even available when I was that age, but I did teach myself Basic when the Commodore Vic20 came out. Yes the world keeps changing and I failed to keep up as it's hard as a hobby when you don't do it for a living. But we get by with a little help from our friends! LOL.... :lol:
ThreeDJ16

Postby dezsoe » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 am

On the test versions you can also program in VB. See: this post.
dezsoe

Postby cncdrive » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:51 am

I'm sorry, I don't understand what was "condescending" in my post. Maybe we think different. I'm an engineer and so I don't have feelings when it comes to technicals, I'm just telling my opinions to describe how I see things. I'm sorry if I hurt feelings in the process, but understand me please that it is not at all my intention to hurt anybody's feelings.
I just wanted to describe that it is not simpler to make an ATC using a built in PLC than how it can be done with the UCCNC.

And yes, you can code the UCCNC macros and also plugins in Visual Basic too, not only in C#. So if VB is more familiar to you then you can code in that language.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:08 am

And yes, you can code the UCCNC macros and also plugins in Visual Basic too, not only in C#. So if VB is more familiar to you then you can code in that language.

While I'm far from a "Real" programmer, I've been using Visual Basic and VBA for over 20 years. To be honest, the difference between VB and C# is very minimal, as far as macros are concerned. Especially if you've used VB.net. Basically just some minor syntax differences.

When writing plugins, though, I prefer VB.net, as I've been using it pretty regularly for the last 5 years.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby ThreeDJ16 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 am

cncdrive wrote:I'm sorry, I don't understand what was "condescending" in my post. Maybe we think different. I'm an engineer and so I don't have feelings when it comes to technicals, I'm just telling my opinions to describe how I see things. I'm sorry if I hurt feelings in the process, but understand me please that it is not at all my intention to hurt anybody's feelings.
I just wanted to describe that it is not simpler to make an ATC using a built in PLC than how it can be done with the UCCNC.

:D My skin is way thicker than that. But you state it wasn't meant to be condescending and you have no feeling towards technical matters, yet you used a smilie emot right after the statement. But no big deal, let's move on to more interesting topics or at least the one at hand.
ThreeDJ16

Postby ger21 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:41 am

But you state it wasn't meant to be condescending and you have no feeling towards technical matters, yet you used a smilie emot right after the statement

Don't assume a smiley implies sarcasm.....
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:02 pm

I was just laughing about one thing: the marketing strategy of that other company that they promoting the onboard PLC like if it was a thing simple to work with and which makes life easy.
What was funny to me is why I put out the emoji is that I imagined that somebody beleives those BS marketing texts and thinks that he will have an easy job and then he gets the controller and tries to program the PLC.
I found this funny because I know how hard is to program PLCs, even the simplest tasks can quickly become a nightmare for the beginner.
Compared to that programming a UCCNC macro is very simple.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ThreeDJ16 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:34 pm

cncdrive wrote:I was just laughing about one thing: the marketing strategy of that other company that they promoting the onboard PLC like if it was a thing simple to work with and which makes life easy.
What was funny to me is why I put out the emoji is that I imagined that somebody beleives those BS marketing texts and thinks that he will have an easy job and then he gets the controller and tries to program the PLC.
I found this funny because I know how hard is to program PLCs, even the simplest tasks can quickly become a nightmare for the beginner.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And totally agree with that other company's BS. Their PLC code is buggy as hell and I've programmed many PLC snd DCS systems over the years (and found their's ridiculous). Worse yet, they advertise shit it can't do as being built in, but when you find out it isn't, they charge 90 bucks an hr for tech support. I've got their system running and understand their code setup now. But it's sad their own techs step all over each others mem location with each new version or if they customize software for a person rather than standardizing how they setup all mem locations. You also cannot run their software without the PLC.

I wouldn't have been in that situation if UCCNC had a lathe version....hint..hint.....

Once you make it past the BS, CNC12 isn't bad turning software, but I'd never use their mill software. I had no choice on the lathe which has a built in turret.

Also their macro system is pretty simple. M95/2 turn on output 2, M96/2 turn off output 2. But then you only have 4 aux buttons to tie them to, which completely sux. 4 more if you buy their pendant. There's also no real customization in their macros either. Anything custom has to go through the PLC.

But I'd still swap to UCCNC in a minute if you'll ever do create dedicated turning software.
ThreeDJ16

Postby ThreeDJ16 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:13 pm

ThreeDJ16 wrote:
cncdrive wrote:I was just laughing about one thing: the marketing strategy of that other company that they promoting the onboard PLC like if it was a thing simple to work with and which makes life easy.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And totally agree with that other company's BS. Their PLC code is buggy as hell and I've programmed many PLC snd DCS systems over the years (and found their's ridiculous). Worse yet, they advertise shit it can't do as being built in, but when you find out it isn't, they charge 90 bucks an hr for tech support. I've got their system running and understand their code setup now. But it's sad their own techs step all over each others mem location with each new version or if they customize software for a person rather than standardizing how they setup all mem locations. You also cannot run their software without the PLC.

I wouldn't have been in that situation if UCCNC had a lathe version....hint..hint.....

Once you make it past the BS, CNC12 isn't bad turning software, but I'd never use their mill software. I had no choice on the lathe which has a built in turret.

Also their macro system is pretty simple. M95/2 turn on output 2, M96/2 turn off output 2. But then you only have 4 aux buttons to tie them to, which completely sux. 4 more if you buy their pendant. There's also no real customization in their macros either. Anything custom has to go through the PLC.

But I'd still swap to UCCNC in a minute if you'll ever do create dedicated turning software.

The edit feature goes away quick....anyway, meant to say M94M95 not that it really matters here....LOL.
ThreeDJ16

Postby Vmax549 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:16 pm

OK It took a couple of all nighters and many pots of coffee but it is possible to do slot# assignments in UCCNC. You use the stock tool table AND you do NOT have to modify the screenset so it can be used on ANY screenset.

Teh M6 can take the data and rotate the carrosel to the proper tool based on it's slot# assignment.

In UCCNC you simply call a tool# as normal and the script does the rest. Which makes it easier on teh CAM side when creating programs. Both tool table can be exactly teh same . I also did a tool table import / export to be able to SYNC teh 2 systems CAM/Controller.

It will HOT SWAP as well for a dual arm ATC.

It took a while and was like cooking a TurDucKen or making a couple of laps around the moon just to get next door BUT it does work now ;)

So when you get the ATC up and running we should be able to fix you up.

JUST a note I have programmed 3 different type of lathe tool turrents for UCCNC so far. :)

(;-) TP
Attachments
Stot#_ToolTable.JPG
Vmax549

PreviousNext

Return to What you've made with your machine post the pictures, videos here