Howto connect a Laser

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Re: Howto connect a Laser

Postby dezsoe » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:17 pm

Gazza wrote:For PWM control:

Check both the boxes for “PWM Spindle” and “Spindle relay output enabled”.
Set M3 relay pin to “1” and port to “1” in the spindle relay section.
Set PWM pin to 17.
Set your Frequency to a number you want. 100 or 500 is pretty good. Anything under 5000 will work.
Set minimum duty % to 0.
Set maximum duty % to 100.
Now you will have control over the power using the command:

M3 SXXX

where the “XXX” is a number between 0 and 100.

Hi Gazza,

Everything before the quoted text is OK, but these last sentences are left on their site from the old configuration when there was no laser output in UCCNC. As you see on the last screenshot, set laser output to pin 17 and connect your white wire to pin 17. It is missing from your drawing, but do not forget to connect the 12V laser power supply negative to the GND on the KK01 board. (Without this connection the white wire will do nothing but collect the electric noise from the card...)

To use the laser first you have to command M3 (this is a safety switch for the laser now) and after it command M10 [Q<0..255>]. If you omit the Q parameter the laser will turn on full power. The Q parameter 0 to 255 sets the PWM to 0..100% duty cycle. To turn off the laser command M11, at the end of the g-code M5.
dezsoe

Postby Kedros » Sun May 26, 2019 6:43 am

Hi!

I'm actually using a Stepcraft 2 D600 and I'm trying to connect a China made PWM 3W laser.

I've done all the above configurations and if I run a simulated code (I don't have the laser yet) it seems that everything is working fine except of the beginning!

I measure the PWM signal with an oscilloscope directly at the output on my Stepcraft (no laser attached yet). It seems that when I turn on the machine and load the UCCNC software the PWM output of the laser is always at full power (Logic level of the PWM signal at 5V), despite the M3 command!

Why this is happening? How I can prevent that?
Kedros

Postby originalsigns » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:27 pm

So...did it work???? I'm currently setting up a diode laser on my CNC and I'm fallowing the settings on the Screen capture images. I'm going to do a bit of soldering & run my wires, but this makes me pretty nervous, I don't know anything about electronics. I have a 3 wire laser, PWM, 24V power supply and a BOB with a Spindle relay. I know this thread is pretty old, but it's exactly relevant to my situation. Thank you, I hope you post a update!
originalsigns

Previous

Return to Ask a question from support here