Step Jog question

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Re: Step Jog question

Postby spumco » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Gents,

That's what I figured, at least in laymans terms. Seemed like a plugin problem as UCCNC has been spot on with commands from day one.

I'll contact VIsta and see if they'll fix the plugin, but they've not been very responsive to the last two questions I sent them.

Assuming for a moment that VistaCNC is unable or unwilling to fix their plugin, is anybody here willing to help me edit/fix the plugin so that the step jog function is executed as you all have described?

I have no clue how to edit, or even view, plugins. It's pretty clear that those of you with developer experience have the ability to decode or 'look behind the curtain' in a plugin - I have no way of determining that they used 'Callbutton' instead of the function CNCDrive suggested.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around macros.

Thanks,
Spumco
spumco

Postby Robertspark » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:30 pm

I can try to help but not till Monday as I'm away at present
Robertspark

Postby spumco » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:35 pm

You're awesome.

I sent Vista a request but I'm not holding my breath.
spumco

Postby Robertspark » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Send them to this link too

What's been asked for is nothing too great, just their product to work and it will do following the minor fix.

Much more work in creating the plugin from scratch

I nearly bought one of theirs but could bring myself to press the button and pay for it because of the import duty and shipping to the UK

Must admit I would have expected it to work fully out of the box too...
Robertspark

Postby spumco » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:37 pm

Hardware wise, it's a nice bit of kit. Feels heavy duty and high-quality encoder feel. Nothing mushy, housing is great.

I just think they did a quick-n-dirty on the plugin and are waiting to see if they get lots of UCCNC-version sales before spending time on developing the plugin.

They obviously spent time on the Mach3 plugin as it has tons of configurable features.
spumco

Postby CT63 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:42 pm

Let me know how you make out. I have a VisaCNC pendant and very satisfied with the quality of the product. Getting this minor issue fixed would be great.
CT63

Postby spumco » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:12 am

CT63 -

If you complain too, this might get some traction with them. I just downloaded Visual Studio in the hopes of fumbling my way in to editing the plugin, but I'm so lost it isn't funny.

-S
spumco

Postby Robertspark » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:13 am

You can also try to ask them for a copy of their source code file for the uccnc plugin, the only thing they can say is no....

Offer to sign a non disclosure agreement if it helps, but really I see them as a hardware company (they make their money from hardware) the more amenable they are to customers over the software, the more hardware they will sell
Robertspark

Postby ger21 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:46 am

Robertspark wrote:Send them to this link too

Yes, make sure they know how to fix this, as it appears that the method they should have used is undocumented.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby spumco » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Robertspark -

I assume by "send them to this link" you meant a link to this forum thread, specifically where CNCDrive indicated the correct function call.

If you had a different link in mind, let me know. I sent them an email with a cut/paste of CNCDrive's explanation.

Gerry,

By 'asking for their source code' you mean the file(s) they use to create the plugin, right? As I mentioned before, I'm utterly ignorant of how all this stuff fits together. I see a 'plugin file' as a .dll file, stick it in the plugins folder, and I'm good to go. But writing a plugin appears to require a number of different files, and the end result generated somehow is the .dll file, right? That's why the plugins example folder has a whole bunch of (meaningless to me) files with various extensions.

I'm thinking of this like a cake: If I have a cake (.dll file), I can eat it (use the plugin). But I can't disassemble the cake (.dll file) to adjust the ingredients once it's baked. I need the actual ingredients (various files similar to what's in the /examples folder) before I can 're-bake' the cake to suit my taste. This is why trying to open the .dll file with Visual Studio is pointless - it doesn't open. But opening some of the plugin example files works - I don't know what all the functions, calls, arguments, etc. are - but at least the file is view-able.

Clumsy analogy, but am I on the right track?

Thanks again,
Spumco.
spumco

PreviousNext

Return to Ask a question from support here