UCCNC startup G18

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Re: UCCNC startup G18

Postby ger21 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:50 pm

- by me (and I think a lot of people) reset controls charge pump and charge pump controls the main power supply for the machine. I do not want to turn my power supply on for only some milliseconds!

Another good point.
It wouldn't affect my setup, as I use the charge pump with a safety relay. I use an external button to power the system. It relies on the charge pump signal being present, but the charge pump itself does not power the system.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Re: UCCNC startup G18

Postby dezsoe » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:38 am

Robertspark wrote:Dezsoe, why are you toggling your power supply on and off under chargepump signal?
Why not use the enable pin on your drives, and an interlock on your VFD / spindle?

If you physically drop the power out to your stepper / servo drives + VFD they have no way to come to a controlled emergency stop using breaking as quick as is possible.

{I do take your point though about the xxmSec pulse of e-stop / reset clear, I'll take another look at your macroloop}

I don't know why but I'm reluctant to have a load of macroloops even though I know that they are constructed in such a way that they will just check a status and return and little delay will be induced by the loops.

I have small, desktop size machines. When I press e-stop I need everything to stop. By work conditions I only had to press e-stop 4-5 times in the last years, mostly to prevent tool and/or workpiece damage.
On the other side, sometimes I have UCCNC running even a whole day while writing macros or plugins, but it would worm my motors, so I only turn on power when I want to do something. I also have a macroloop with some on-screen parameters to auto-power-off after a given timeout. So, it became a good and safe practice for me to switch the motor power with the charge pump.
And one more reason is that in the past I had only a UC100 and didn't have free output to use enable. Now I have UC300 and UC400 also, but for compatibility I use the same pinout (for motion and probe) so I can change the controllers to run tests on any controller and any machine.
dezsoe

Previous

Return to Ask a question from support here