The publisher could not be verified

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

The publisher could not be verified

Postby AL-H » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:19 am

I have looked on this forum for an answer to my problem, but can’t find any topic relating to it.
On one of my Computers, I receive a message telling me that “The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?” and when I click on “run” the splash screen just sits there running its “horizontal loading escalator” (for want of a better description), doing nothing else, until I click on the splash screen, when it crashes.
I can run it as administrator, but it is annoying that there is no problem with these other machines, i.e. just double click the desktop icon, or single click the icon on the taskbar and away it goes.
Unfortunately this is the desktop machine that I want to use it on; it is running Windows 10, 64 bit OS.
The other two machines that I have run it on are again a Windows 10, 64 bit machine, a laptop, and a Windows 10, 32 bit tablet, and neither of them throws this message up, and run UCCNC okay.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled UCCNC, also updated it twice (now running Ver. 1.2037) in case it was a known bug that had been fixed, each time I completely uninstalled everything, also my setup profiles, then cleaned the computer with CClean, to clear the registry etc.
Has anybody else found this glitch? And if so, have you found any solution?
If it is missing its certificate, then does anyone know where this is stored? Then I can try copying it from my other 64 bit machine, and into the relevant location on the problem machine.
AL-H

Re: The publisher could not be verified

Postby cncdrive » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:59 am

I've not heard about this kind of issue so far, but different Windows updates contains different bugs and glitches, so I suspect it will be a problem with the OS, maybe a glitch in the registry or something.
Unfortunately I don't know what can possibly cause this problem, so I'm unable to help.

What I would do is I would try to reinstall Windows, because probably something is broken in it is why the issue happens, but this is only my personal opinion.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby A_Camera » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:37 am

AL-H wrote:I have looked on this forum for an answer to my problem, but can’t find any topic relating to it.
On one of my Computers, I receive a message telling me that “The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?” and when I click on “run” the splash screen just sits there running its “horizontal loading escalator” (for want of a better description), doing nothing else, until I click on the splash screen, when it crashes.
I can run it as administrator, but it is annoying that there is no problem with these other machines, i.e. just double click the desktop icon, or single click the icon on the taskbar and away it goes.
Unfortunately this is the desktop machine that I want to use it on; it is running Windows 10, 64 bit OS.
The other two machines that I have run it on are again a Windows 10, 64 bit machine, a laptop, and a Windows 10, 32 bit tablet, and neither of them throws this message up, and run UCCNC okay.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled UCCNC, also updated it twice (now running Ver. 1.2037) in case it was a known bug that had been fixed, each time I completely uninstalled everything, also my setup profiles, then cleaned the computer with CClean, to clear the registry etc.
Has anybody else found this glitch? And if so, have you found any solution?
If it is missing its certificate, then does anyone know where this is stored? Then I can try copying it from my other 64 bit machine, and into the relevant location on the problem machine.

What do you mean by "I can run it as administrator"? Are you not an administrator on that PC?

Could it be a simple security issue? You simply don't have the permission to install? Perhaps you have an anti virus causing you troubles. Perhaps you "fixed" something else, like optimized or removed parts of the original Windows installation to make it "better"? I don't know what "CClean" does, but I am allergic and VERY sceptical to these sort of "fixes". I don't think UCCNC does anything to the windows registry, so no need for any "cleaning". A fully working UCCNC installation can be copied and transported to another PC, just copy the folder structure where it is installed and paste it in the problematic PC. If this is not working then install W10 from scratch and KEEP what Microsoft wants you to keep, at least until you know it is working.
A_Camera

Postby cncdrive » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:31 am

Yes, I agree that it might be a permission issue, but from the "publisher could not be verified" I think it will be probably something else, because the UCCNC is digitally signed with a sign-certification, so that message does not sounds valid in any case.

The UCCNC writes only a few keys to the registry, but the UCCNC not using those keys at all, the keys are only the installation directory and the major and minor version numbers of the application, these could be used by 3rd party installers for example to see where the UCCNC is installed to and what version is installed.
However Windows always writes keys to the registry when it installs applications, it registers the application into the registry with the product ID and other things.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby AL-H » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:18 pm

Thank you Balazs and A_Camera.

I agree that it is something to do with windows, considering UCCNC has no problem on the other two machines, so please don’t think I was suggesting it was UCCNC, I just wondered if it had shown its head previously, and was a known problem, (with windows 10).
I am in the process of moving files that I need from that machine and so will be shortly doing a clean reinstall of the OS.
I am new to CNC machining, but an old hand (emphases on old) at manual machining, and have tried Linux CNC, Mach 3, but find you USB solution to the USB latency problem fantastic, everything I had read before coming across your system said it couldn’t be done without missed steps etc, and that it could only be accomplished with the good old trusted parallel port, so thank you for a good USB controller.
So thank you both once again for the quick replies.
AL-H

Postby AL-H » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Oh, and yes I am administrator on all my machines, but after failing to get UCCNC to run, I right clicked on its desktop icon selected run as administrator, got the Windows user account control panel displayed, selected yes, and it ran, so afterwards, I right clicked the shortcut icon, selected the Shortcut tab, clicked the Advanced button, checked the run as administrator box, and that is the way I have been using it since, which has had me stumped
Anyway, I will try a reset first to see if that cures my problem, if not, a clean install coming up, if it works or doesn’t I will let you know, it will add to the knowledge base if at any time in the future someone else has the same message appear.
AL-H

Postby cncdrive » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:54 pm

cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby AL-H » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi Balazs and A_Camera,
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you with the results, but have been sidetracked on other things.
Anyway, I have now done a clean install of Windows 10 Creators edition, and UCCNC is starting and working perfectly.
I did try to reset Windows, first I tried reset without removing my files, it couldn’t reset, said it was returning system to its previous state, but it didn’t, it left my desktop black, with all Icons, but wasn’t responding as it should have.
So then I tried a reset with removing all files, still couldn’t do it, so I went ahead and did a clean install of Windows Creators edition, and now (so far) everything is working fine.
So still have no idea what went wrong with the Windows OS, but it was an old install, I think I went from Windows 7, to 8, then 8.1 finally to 10, (I did change mother board, processor and memory in the mean time) so maybe not surprising.
I guess we can say problem resolved.
But thank you both for you attempts to help.
AL-H

Return to Ask a question from support here