A Axis problem from mach to uccnc

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

A Axis problem from mach to uccnc

Postby woffler » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:58 pm

I have been using the software for some time now ,i converted from Mach 3 i have had no problems to speak of until ,i decided to hook up my A axis rotary table .
It will not run at the Mach step and direction setup and i checked my xml to be sure the setting where the same .

I thought maybe i had a driver fault, but i put in a new driver same deal, it will not rapid unless i run the Acc. up to 3000 or more and vel . about 2000 then it will rapid .

But if you try to make a step move say G1 F15 A 360 it just sits there and moves at one step at a time so slow you can barely see it move.

I am using the either net board 400 , this table has 42.3 steps per unit as what the steps same as they were in Mach i am using a stepper on this axis only, with a micro step set to 400 .

Am i missing some thing in set up that is special for the A axis?
woffler

Re: A Axis problem from mach to uccnc

Postby woffler » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:34 am

I have done some further testing ,i can rapid to a position with a go command just not a G1 command for some reason .
woffler

Postby Robertspark » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:24 am

Note that all axis in uccnc are treated as linear.

At present there are no rotary axis, so you will need to think of the axis in terms of linear motion / quazi rotary.

When you typed in G1 F15 A 360, your feedrate is 15 units per minute.... And you asked for a distance of 360 units.... 360/15 = 24.... Minutes!!!

Hence it won't he fast.... It will look incremental or stepping because you have 42.3 steps per unit and you are only moving 15 steps per minute.....so about 10 steps per second so it will look very notchy.....

What did you want??
15 revolutions per minute and a distance of 1 revolution?

You will need to up you feedrate to 5400 (I think... It is 5am here...) 360units*15units/min= 5400

You will have to change your velocity and acceleration settings....
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:43 am

In converting from rotary (mach3) to uccnc (linear axis),

I would multiply your mach3 maximum velocity and acceleration settings by 360....
Robertspark

Postby cncdrive » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:06 am

Rob,

Could you please explain me how in mach3 the F15 means 15 rotations per minute on the A axis?
I mean I've checked this in the uccnc and also in mach3 and both moves the A axis with 15 units per minute when commanding the A axis with G1 A... F15
So, my question is when does this converts to rotation per minute with Mach3? Which g-code or settings do this in mach?
I've tried to set the A axis to rotary in Mach3, but it still acts the same, it moves 15 units per minute only just like the uccnc.
I'm not familiar with rotary axis handing in Mach3, and so I've mentioned earlier that we will need some discussion about this and this could be one good information for me to understand...
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Robertspark » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:01 am

:roll: Oh dear... what happens when you look at posts and have not woken up..... :mrgreen:

linear units = mm or inches
rotary units = degrees

Ignore my post.....

F = units / min or degrees / min (essentially the same)

....woffler... no idea why it isn't working....
Robertspark

Postby cncdrive » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:17 am

Hi Rob,

OK, I just thought there is a hidden setting or something in mach3 which I'm not aware of, but I see now that this is not the case. :)

Woffler: I verified the A axis working in the UCCNC and I see no problem. I've tested with using your steps per value of 42.30 with a low acceleration of 100 and max.velocity of 2000 and used your code of G1 A360 F15 and the A axis moves as it should, it moves with 15 units per minutes. So, yes, it is slow movement, but this low F value is what you have programmed, so it moves that slow.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby woffler » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:10 pm

I have read everyone s response and will try the suggestions you have commented about ,and will report back to see what i have done wrong here.
woffler

Postby Robertspark » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Also to consider .... What version of Mach3 are you using?

Version 066 had a bad reputation with some motion controllers and some things. 062 was the recommended more stable version. Someone said that 066 "broke" some of the lathe functionality, so not sure if this may have been affected too with odd behaviour.

All versions of Mach3 are are available for download via their FTP site:
ftp://ftp.machsupport.com/Mach3/

... I know you are converting from Mach3 >> UCCNC but it may be worthwhile to try to install another version if you are running 0.66 and see if that changes things at the Mach3 end of things....

It may explain the strange behaviour
Robertspark

Postby woffler » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:38 pm

I am still working on this ,i found out that mach three has a radio button to change the A B or C axis to angular instead of linear, i had just forgot about it
and as Rob said Uccnc only has a linear axis.

I think we are going to need a feature request to change from linear to angular on these other axis ABC ,i will try and fudge this with Robs idea this after noon and see if i can get any where.

Does this make sense ?
woffler

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here