Mach3 to uccnc stalling

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Mach3 to uccnc stalling

Postby Atomic01 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi there, I have a uc300eth that I was running with mach3 I recently purchased uccnc and love the software. However I am having some troubles with my steppers stalling. I am using closed loop steppers and imported my mach3 xml and have verified that all settings are the same on both mach and uccnc. However all but my Z axis stall on jogging, they will move 2mm then fault. I then open mach3 and they work. They ran no problem with uccnc at first then started faulting and I can't understand why! Any help would be muchly appreciated. Ps I'm using the 2017 screenset. Thanks
Atomic01

Re: Mach3 to uccnc stalling

Postby cncdrive » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:21 pm

If it happens with jogging then the things I can think of is that the computer is too weak for the UCCNC or an ethernet card problem,
however that it works OK with Mach3 crosses out the second idea about an ethernet card problem.
What are your computer properties? Especially interesting is the graphics card properties, because the UCCNC requires less computer resources than Mach3, except the graphics card,
because the UCCNC using hardware accelerated graphics with OpenGL, so it is adviced to have at least 256MByte graphics card memory (VRAM) which is the very minimum we advice, the recommended value is 512MByte which is still a low value for todays' cards but if the card is older than it may not have this much memory and then what happens is that the graphics images can't fit into the VRAM memory and so OpenGL starts copying the images continously between the RAM and the VRAM and it doing this frequently, because the screen update rate of the UCCNC is high, 30Hz. And this can cause issues for the application.
One thing you can check is the communication latency graph on the Profiles/statistics page, that graph should never touch the top which is 20msec latency, if it does is not good and is an indication that something is wrong with the computer.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:41 pm

One more thing to check is the Kernel frequency setting. Please check and compare if it is set the same in Mach3 and UCCNC, because if it is set higher in the UCCNC may be the problem.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Atomic01 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:16 am

Many thanks for your reply, my pc is i5, 8gb ram, nvidia 4gb ddr graphics, I did some experimenting today and it all works perfectly with the stock screenset it dosnt work with the 2017 screenset! So I will contact ger and see if he can help.
Atomic01

Postby ger21 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:02 pm

The screenset should have nothing to do with UCCNC operation. And I haven't heard of any issues like this from any other users.
If you are using a laptop, make sure that UCCNC is forced to use the nVidia card. That's all that I can think of?

But if you're just jogging, I wouldn't suspect the screen display to be causing issues. Does it do it with no g-code loaded?

What if you decrease the acceleration settings? Will it run OK then?
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby Atomic01 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:48 pm

It's all sorted now, I still don't know what the problem was, but I re-imported my old mach3 xml and it worked. Great screenset it really is a great companion to a great bit of software. Thanks for all your help. Gerry and cncdrive.
Atomic01

Return to Ask a question from support here