UCSB Stopped working - need help

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

UCSB Stopped working - need help

Postby FerrumD » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:14 pm

I ran into an issue I can't seem to resolve and need "urgent" help as the machine's not responding at all anymore.

I have a UC400ETH + UCSB Setup... ran really nice until I made a probable mistake when wiring a new accessory into the system ( a new to me 3D Probe to replace a unit I had before...)
The Probe was difficult to get "signalling" - unlike my last one, the new one, simply wouldn't work, not matter what... so I've tried different wiring options .
Then suddenly when I actuated the probe - one of the relay-boards I have came "online" and activated the air-blast... and then STAYED ON...
Now when I start the controller and load UCCCNC the output for the the "air" (it's on port 17) stays permanently ON (red light on the controller)... I can "RESET" - but nothing happens anymore.
I can't move the axis, I can't start the spindle ...... there's no visible "error" aside from Output 17 having a red light on the UCSB...
I can unplug the connector - which will, of course disable the connected relay (the relay works fine apparently... but the red light on the UCSB O17 stays ON... however in "DIAG" within UCCNC Output 17 is "off"...

My assumption here is that I've managed to "fry" the UCSB...
I think the ETH400 works fine, after all it is being recognised when running UCCNC...

Is there anything I can do - or do I need to replace my UCSB..
?

thanks for any help.

Daniel
FerrumD

Re: UCSB Stopped working - need help

Postby cncdrive » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:08 pm

I would measure the voltage between the 5V0 and +5V screw terminals of the UCSB to see if the 5volts voltage regulator is working or not.
You wrote that the axes are not moving and I'm assuming they get the step/dir signals from the UCSB, therefor I think that probably the 5Volts regulator damaged.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby FerrumD » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:37 pm

If the regulator is damaged- I guess replacing the ucsb would be the easiest fix?
FerrumD

Postby FerrumD » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:09 am

I've used the multi-meter to measure the voltage on the 5V screw-terminal on the UCSB: it's 5V..

but the red-light on the UCSB O17 stays on as soon as there is 24V input...
But also it doesn't signal anything to anything anymore - so I can't output an "enable" signal to the drives... or power the spindle up or anything
all the components still work - If I use the teknic clearpath software to Check each servo, they respond, can be move... so can the AC-Servo spindle drive...
so the "fault" needs to be with either the UCSB, the UC400ETH (I think that's less likely, as it probably wouldn't communicate with the software anymore)... or both?
FerrumD

Postby cncdrive » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:30 pm

Try to plug the UCSB to the other port of the UC400ETH to fix if the issue is maybe with that port of the UC400ETH.
Don't forget to change the pin settings to the other port number then.
It is enough to change one axis port/pin setting and then try to jog it.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby FerrumD » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:44 pm

cncdrive wrote:Try to plug the UCSB to the other port of the UC400ETH to fix if the issue is maybe with that port of the UC400ETH.
Don't forget to change the pin settings to the other port number then.
It is enough to change one axis port/pin setting and then try to jog it.

Tried that... PORT 1 & Port 2...
exactly the same behaviour...
the very moment the UC400ETH & UCSB gets 24V Power - the O17 gets "on", stays on, and nothing else works. Doesn't matter whether UCCNC is actually running or connected at all..

Additional info:
Even if I completely UNPLUG the LPT Cable from the UCSB... the red light stays on, and the relay gets power (air blast)... so even with the UC400ETH Disconnected the same thing happens.

can I assume the UCSB is damaged?
I'm not looking for a warranty-replacement - I've managed to this mistake all by myself ;) completely by my own mistake...
Just trying to figure out what I need to replace quickly to get my production machine back up and running...
FerrumD

Postby cncdrive » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:45 am

It's a bit strange to me that nothing is working on the UCSB while the 5Volts power is fine.
It is likely that something damaged on the UCSB, but based on the symptons you told me I can't really figure out what.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby FerrumD » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:30 pm

I think I've fried it when I tried to wire in the probe - accidentally connecting things to 24V that should have been 5V.
unfortunately my current controller's cabinet is a total mess - started with a too small enclosure, and then adding feature after feature...
I'll have to re-make it soon, otherwise stuff like that is just prone to happen - no one to blame but myself.
ordered a replacement UCSB... so I can get the machine back up and producing parts asap.
FerrumD

Return to Ask a question from support here