Ext. E-Stop triggered

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Ext. E-Stop triggered

Postby Mudden » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:46 am

Hi.

We have serveral UCCNC installations running on AXBB-E controllers. On one of them we suddently got the "ext. e-stop" alarm, resulting in the machine stopping. Its for a small desktop 2-axis CNC-machine performing a rivet operation with a pneumatic cylinder.

We increased the "debounce filter" to about 80ms but still got the same alarm.
Then to test, we removed the e-stop input setting completely in I/O-setup and set pin / port to 0 / 0, but still got the same alarm?! Should not the alarm be impossible to trigger if I have removed the emergency input signal all together, or can the alarm message "ext. e-stop triggered" come from other input noice other than only the emergency stop signal?

UCCNC version 1.2113
Firmware 1.0050
Hardware 1.0000
API version 2.1820
Standard Windows 10 desktop computers with dual ethernet cards (one for the controller and one for the local network)
No spindle, no plasma, no other noice-producing components.
Mudden

Re: Ext. E-Stop triggered

Postby cncdrive » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:30 am

Check if you unconfigure the e-stop settings, I mean set the e-stop input pin to 0 to see if the issue still remains?
I mean maybe it is not e-stop, but limits input trigger.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Mudden » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:34 am

Hi.

I've localized the error source. Its triggered from the connection with the windows 10 computer.
If I monitor the UCCNC-application in Windows Task Manager I can see that the power consumtion is pending between low and very high.
During "very high" the UCCNC-software reacts with the "ext. e-stop triggered". How do I disable this behaviour?

(I can manually replicate it if I select "Create dump file" from windows task manager because that also triggers a high load.)
Mudden

Postby cncdrive » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:07 pm

Well, then probably your computer has not enough resources to run the UCCNC properly.
Maybe it just do not have enough RAM memory or the video card is too weak.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Mudden » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:55 am

The computer specs is:
• CPU frequency: 3.0 Ghz
• Graphics Card: Open GL 3.0/4.5 (Intel UHD Graphics 770 1GB)
• RAM: 16GB DDR4
• Hard Drive Space: 184,1 GiB free of 235,5 GiB

The UHD Graphics 770 is an integrated graphics solution by Intel. Should we install a dedicated graphics card?

The computers are connected to a company network monitored by IT dept. Should they be installed locally?
Mudden

Postby Mudden » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:54 am

Mudden wrote:The computers are connected to a company network monitored by IT dept. Should they be installed locally?

By this I mean, the computers has dual ethernet cards. PCI-cards mounted internally of the computer, no USB-cards.
The AXBBE controller is connected directly to the computer to a ethernet card with a static IP.

Then the computer is connected to company network with the other ethernet card and Dynamic IP.

No router involved.
Mudden

Postby Mudden » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:35 am

Hi, do anyone have any idéa why the UCCNC stops and sends a "Ext. E-Stop triggered"?

We have trouble running our machines with the AXBB-E controllers since this error occurs a few time a day.

Could it be triggered by antivirus software?

Could it be triggered by local backup softwares?

I can manually create the "Ext. E-Stop triggered" by selecting the UCCNC application in the task managare and running a "Create dump file" command. The create dump file pauses the application and pausing application seems to trigger the alarm.
Mudden

Postby cncdrive » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:58 am

Check your video card drivers.
Don't believe Windows if it says that the drivers are up to date, but instead download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website and force-install it.
I'm asking this because if selecting the UCCNC application causing the issue might be because Windows having a hard time recalculating and redrawing the UCCNC window.
UCCNC using OpenGL 3D graphics acceleration, so with a default Windows video drivers installed could be very unoptimal and could cause lots of time and resources for Windows to redraw the screen while with the proper drivers installed the same can be done very quickly and efficiently.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Mudden » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:48 am

Thank you.
Latest Intel HD Graphics driver is 31.0.101.4972 (Nov 2023) I will try to install it.
(Installed version is 31.0.101.4502 Rev.A (Juli 2023))

Installed UCCNC-version is 1.2113
Would you recommend us to install test version 1.2116?

We are thinking of buying a proper PCI graphics card (standard Nvidia gaming card) would you recommend that also?
Mudden

Postby cncdrive » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:15 pm

Version 1.2113 or 1.2116 will not likely to cause any difference, because the issue is not with the UCCNC, but with the video card drivers.
If the new drivers you installed does not solve is then you can still try to downgrade to an earlier drivers to see if it makes any difference.
A few customers did that and solved their problems.

Using a different video card is also a good idea.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here