Fluctuating spindle speed.

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Fluctuating spindle speed.

Postby Delco » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:12 am

I have just tried to get uccnc to control the spindle spped of my dc motored lathe.

It has a potentiometer that controls the rpm normally , I removed the output pin the variable 12v signal is on and connected it and the earth pin of the potentiometer to analague 1 and analogue earth on my uc300.

UCCNC send a 0-10v signal to the circuit board inside the lathe and the speed is approx correct with a min duty % of 10 and a max duty % of 80 and it will control the speed up and down via UCCNC

The issue I have is the rpm fluctuates approx 50 rpm ( it does not do this with the original potentiometer) , I have tried the pwm frequency from 10-200 and it makes no real change.

Any ideas ?

what does the PWM frequency do ? optimium setting ?
Delco

Re: Fluctuating spindle speed.

Postby Delco » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:18 am

After watching a few youtube videos I found one franco did with the centroid that had similar issues - his solution was to remove the power supply ground.

I tried that and the issue went away - also the set min/max pwn % also had to change to get the spindle spped calibrated correctly .

Do I run with the main power supply ground removed ? or do I ground the lathe to the power supply ground and reconnect it ?
Delco

Postby cncdrive » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:23 pm

Do you have a schematics of the spindle controller?
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Delco » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:00 pm

NO , I have verified the machine is earthed to ground but the board earth is not grounded.
Delco

Return to Ask a question from support here