Temporary offset of Probing Position for large tool

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Temporary offset of Probing Position for large tool

Postby nitro » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:24 pm

Hi,

I have a working M6 macro to change tool and I call the exec.Callbutton(821) to probe the new tool lentgh.

However, when I want probe a large tool like a face mill, I must input an offset to let the macro know that it must offset the probing position by a certain amount.
In the macro attached, I am able to modify the "fixed probing position X" (field 2726) by the amount I want and it does change it in the probing UI.

Unfortunately, when I push the "prob position" or launch it in the M6 macro with exec.Callbutton(848);, it still go the previous "fixed probing position X" as it has not changed.

What am I missing ? Is there another way to input a temporary offset for large tool ?

Thanks for your feedback and ideas!
Attachments
M6.txt
(5.41 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
nitro

Re: Temporary offset of Probing Position for large tool

Postby dezsoe » Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:33 pm

What is the version of the UCCNC that you use? (Help/About)
dezsoe

Postby nitro » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:09 pm

It is the "UCCNC version 1.2115"
nitro

Postby dezsoe » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:32 pm

In version 1.2114 under the Probing plugin you'll find that:

- New: an offset can be set for tool numbers with MobileToolOffset<tool>=X,Y,Z,A,B,C in the profile. Must be set manually editing the profile.

This means that from version 1.2114 if you want to offset a tool probe then select a tool number and write the offset into the profile. E.g. your face mill is tool #50 and you want to offset it -20 mm in X. Close UCCNC and open your profile end search for "[Probing]". This section contains the saved settings of the probe screen. Create a new line at the end of the Probing section:

Code: Select all
MobileToolOffset50=-20,0,0,0,0,0

Of course, you have to use Mobile probe mode which is recommended anyway. Now any time the T50 tool is selected the probing will be offset by -20 mm in X.
dezsoe

Postby Delco » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:16 pm

dezsoe wrote:In version 1.2114 under the Probing plugin you'll find that:

- New: an offset can be set for tool numbers with MobileToolOffset<tool>=X,Y,Z,A,B,C in the profile. Must be set manually editing the profile.

This means that from version 1.2114 if you want to offset a tool probe then select a tool number and write the offset into the profile. E.g. your face mill is tool #50 and you want to offset it -20 mm in X. Close UCCNC and open your profile end search for "[Probing]". This section contains the saved settings of the probe screen. Create a new line at the end of the Probing section:

Code: Select all
MobileToolOffset50=-20,0,0,0,0,0

Of course, you have to use Mobile probe mode which is recommended anyway. Now any time the T50 tool is selected the probing will be offset by -20 mm in X.

Denzoe is this going to be editable in the tool table or probing setup rather than having to exit UCCNC in the next release.
Delco

Postby nitro » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:28 am

Thanks a lot for this, I will try that !
nitro

Postby dezsoe » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:35 am

Well, my goal was to fully integrate the probe in the screensets, that's why it has no config window but a setup page. This offset was a special request here on this forum (I couldn't find the topic) and I left it in the code, because it is useful. I'll think about creating something to set these settings.
dezsoe

Postby dezsoe » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:45 am

Also note that this offset is only applied when you probe the tool in mobile probe mode. (Probe tool and Mobile probe are selected.)
dezsoe

Postby nitro » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:40 am

hi again ! just test it and works as intented : thanks again for your quick feedback.

Just a remark, even if I can live with that : with this offset applied, the tool go to prob position, then safeZ and move to the offset, probe, then go back back safeZ, and then to prob position to finally continue the program.
Not the most efficient as it would be better than the offset is applied before going to prob position !
nitro

Postby dezsoe » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:43 am

Is the "Greater Z is safer in G17" turned on (Probe / Setup page)? It should be.
dezsoe

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here