Simple probing in Z

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Simple probing in Z

Postby jacko » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:43 pm

Hello,
I have just finished build a cnc engraver using the latest Uccnc software and Axbb -e controller.
I have an issue with simple probing in the Z axis using a touch plate.
At one stage I had it working correctly. ie it would come down twice and return to the correct position showing the position on the DRO of 16.35 above the work piece. ( ie the thickness of the touch plate ( 6.35 )and the retract setting ( 10 mm ))
However now it does everything correctly but displays zero in the DRO.
I don't know what I have changed and cant seem to correct things and so can anyone offer a suggestion of what I need to do please?
Many thanks
JH
jacko

Re: Simple probing in Z

Postby dezsoe » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:52 pm

You don't need to enable retract. Set fine distance to 1 mm. Set gage height to 6.35 and turn on axis 1 count gage. After probing the Z will go back to the position it was before the probing. If the zero probed axes is turned on then it will set your zero point.
dezsoe

Postby jacko » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:04 am

Hello again,
Thank you for your advice. I tried doing as you said on my house laptop last night and it worked.
I have tried it on the machine this morning and my house laptop and it now doesn't. Perhaps because my house laptop it is only in demo mode?
It certainly worked a couple of times on the machine at one point ie returning a figure of 16.35 in the DRO but it is not working consistently today and giving random results.
We do home all before probing but does this need a physical home switch to work consistently?
I have a limit proximity switch on the Z axis. Should I change this in config to a home switch? Does it need to be on its own pin out?
Currently all 6 limit switches are connected to one pin out and although they stop the axis from crashing you have to switch the machine off and manually move the axis off the switch which is a pain.
Thanks for you help
Jack H
jacko

Postby dezsoe » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:37 am

Hello,

The probe screen does not work in demo mode. If you could do anything then you pressed the normal tool probe button which calls the M31 macro. To use Simple probe (or any other stuff on the probe screen) you have to press the Start probing button on the probe screen. There's no need to separate the home/limit switches. The probe screen checks if the machine was homed, but only the Tool probe mode requires homing. All other modes write a warning, but work.

One other thing. The probe screen (and the most of the plugins) don't work if you switch profile before 1.2114. Since 1.2114 the Load profile button restarts UCCNC, so all plugins work fine. I don't know which version do you use, the "latest version" is not enough information, because there's a latest stable and a latest developer version that you can download.
dezsoe

Postby fsli » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:51 am

jacko wrote:Currently all 6 limit switches are connected to one pin out and although they stop the axis from crashing you have to switch the machine off and manually move the axis off the switch which is a pain.

If you have limit switches at both ends of each axis, and they are all connected to the same pin, then you can configure the Home pin and port for all axes to be the same pin/port as you're using for the limit switches. Be sure to check the "Dir. Positive" box for the Z axis, if appropriate. I have a similar configuration, using proximity switches, but I have assigned each axis to its own pin. However, the limit+, limit-, and home inputs are the same for each axis (see below). You might also want to reduce the "Homing speed down" rate, which will give you a more accurate home position.

If the machine reaches a physical limit switch, you can enable the "Override Limits" button on the screen, then click the Reset button, then jog the machine off of the limit switch. No need to power it off.

AxisConfiguration.png
Frank
fsli

Postby jacko » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:46 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Yes I have 6 Proximity switches all connected to one pin. 2 at each end of the axis.
I will configure the Z proximity home switches at least tomorrow and try it.
We are using Software version 1.2113 and so should we update that ??
Is it essential to create new profiles ?
I have copied the "Macro Default" and "Default profile" files to a safe place in case the laptop "blows up"
I thought they would be like the XML file in Mach and be ok to just replace the files that come with a newer version of the software with the ones that I have saved.
Is there any need to set up a new "Profile" if I have done that?
JH
jacko

Postby dezsoe » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:13 pm

If you have no problem with it then don't update.

Yes, always use your own profile. Here is a post about how to copy your current profile and this is how to create a shortcut for the new profile.

Enable and use the Auto backup profile plugin. Here is how to configure.
dezsoe

Postby Kitwn » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:51 am

My problem is more basic. I used to use the old screenset with a third party probing plug-in that worked well. But with new screenset I can't even begin to understand the probing page or the instructions! I just want the most basic Z probing onto a touchplate. Where do I begin? What does the P1 value mean (I know it cannot be zero)? So far, by making P1 not = 0, it will start probing which is stopped by touching the plate to the tool, but nothing actually moves and the DRO readings never change.

Some very basic instructions for a very basic amateur user would be much appreciated.

Kit
Kitwn

Postby DakotaSport07 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:27 pm

Salut Kitwn

Je suis un nouvel utilisateur du logiciel UCCNC depuis peu, mais je peux répondre à cette question : "Que signifie la valeur P1 (je sais qu'elle ne peut pas être nulle) ?"

La valeur de P1 est égale à la distance de déplacement maximale autorisée d'un axe pour le mode palpeur.
Si la valeur saisie est 0, aucun mouvement n'est autorisé sur l'axe.
Si la valeur saisie est -10, cela permet à l'axe Z de se déplacer vers le bas d'un maximum de 10 mm.
Si la valeur saisie est -80, cela permet à l'axe Z de se déplacer vers le bas d'un maximum de 80 mm.

Les instructions répertoriées ici concernent le sondage Z négatif.
Avant tout, les axes de la machine doivent être référencés à Zéro.

A+
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Kitwn

I'm a new user of UCCNC software recently, but I can answer this question: "What does the P1 value mean (I know it can't be zero)?"

The value of P1 is equal to the maximum allowed movement distance of an axis for probe mode.
If the value entered is 0, there is no movement allowed on the axis.
If the value entered is -10 this allows the Z axis to move downwards by a maximum of 10mm.
If the value entered is -80 this allows the Z axis to move downwards by a maximum of 80mm.

The instructions listed here are for negative Z probing.
Above all, the axes of the machine must be referenced to Zero.

A+
DakotaSport07

Postby DakotaSport07 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:02 pm

paramètre pour la sonde.PNG
Mes réglages.
DakotaSport07

Return to Ask a question from support here