I/O configuration & settings

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

I/O configuration & settings

Postby spumco » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:18 am

Quick question, but not sure if this is a hardware (400ETH) or software (UCCNC) issue. Feel free to move this to whichever area is more appropriate.

I'm now trying to set up my spindle encoder. I'm using a PMDX-126 and PMDX-108 aux input board. The -108 board permits using Pins 2-9, Port 2 as inputs.

My intention is to put the encoder signals (A/B/Z) on one of the Port 2 inputs. However, it appears that either the 400ETH or UCCNC doesn't recognize these pins as inputs - nor can I find any optional settings in the UCCNC configuration where I can change these pins to inputs.

Looking at the setup manual, I see that the 300-5LPT Ports 4 & 5 use Pins 2-9 as inputs.

Is it possible to change UCCNC or the 400ETH to use the pins I want? I'm used to Mach3, where you can designate Pins 2-9, Port 2 as inputs, I just don't see this anywhere in UCCNC.

Thanks,
Spumco
spumco

Re: I/O configuration & settings

Postby cncdrive » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:27 am

All of our motion controllers have fixed I/O pins directions which means that the inputs are fixed to be inputs and the outputs are fixed to be outputs.
There is no way to make an input to output and vica versa.
The pins directions of the motion controllers of the different ports are listed in the users manual.

The UC400ETH has 2 digital IDC26 ports and both ports have the same pinout which is the pinout of a standard LPT port with the 12 outputs and 5 inputs per port.
The UC300ETH-5LPT has 5 digital IDC26 ports with ports 2. and 3. having the same pinout as a standard LPT port with 12 outputs and 5 inputs per port and the ports 1.,4. and 5. are input type ports which is the same pinput as a bidirectional LPT port when switched to input mode with 5 outputs and 12 inputs.
For the exact ports pinouts please check the users manuals.

So, with the UC400ETH you have 24 outputs and 10 inputs in total in the 2 ports.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Re: I/O configuration & settings

Postby spumco » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:28 pm

Unfortunate, but I understand.

For anyone reading this, it means that the PMDX-108 input board is unusable with the UC400ETH. The -108 board is an auxiliary input board that turns Pins 2-9, Port 2 in to inputs. Mach3 has the ability to set these pins as inputs, but it appears that the UC400ETH cannot change outputs to inputs (and vise versa).

It might work if a PMDX-126/108 combo is set up as a second BOB for Ports 4 & 5 using a UC300ETH or other UC motion controller that has more than 2 ports.

Anyone want to buy a very slightly used PMDX-108?

-Spumco
spumco

Return to Ask a question from support here