Servo/stepper alarms, AXBB-E to Delta ASDA-B2 servos?

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Servo/stepper alarms, AXBB-E to Delta ASDA-B2 servos?

Postby dg123 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:50 pm

I'm trying to understand how to properly connect a CNCdrive AXBB-E controller to Delta ASDA-B2 servo drivers.

Background:
1. This machine (AlphaCNC AMN-6040-M) came pre-configured with an XHC MK4-V controller & Delta ASDA-B2 (750W) servos. The XHC controller has been problematic (mostly probing) which is why I'm replacing it with the AXBB-E.
2. E-stop never worked correctly on this machine using the XHC controller. When I tried to troubleshoot it, I ended up assuming the cause was that the 4th-axis (rotary) wasn't hooked up, putting the driver into AL0011 alarm condition, which triggered the e-stop condition. Since the controllers were wired to e-stop, I didn't trace it further. Using Mach3, I just double-reset past the issue and moved on.
3. Currently I have pulse and direction signaling working with the AXBB using the unbuffered digital outputs. So I can jog the servos.

Question (detailed):
My problem is, I've replicated the XHC e-stop wiring to the I1-/I1+ buffered inputs and it doesn't work as expected.
I expected the alarming servo to pull the signal low, triggering e-stop. I planned on just unplugging CN1 on that driver to bypass the issue for now. But that didn't happen.
If I disconnect the servos from the estop circuit, leaving just the estop button, the estop button works as expected.
Strangely (at least to me), tracing the connections, all the servo drivers had GND(CN1 pin-19) tied to +0V on the 24V-out circuit & V_REF(CN1 pin-20) to Estop on the XHC controller. The machine's e-stop button was also tied (in parallel) to this as well.

Was the original intention for the e-stop button to pull V_REF low, halting the servos? If so it seems bad to put +24V on a pin that's only supposed to see +10V maximum. And does this even make sense? estop should stop the step signals, doing the same thing.
Is there a way for the AXBB to detect the servos fault signal (ALRM digital output wired to I1/estop or otherwise)?

Question summary: What is the recommended way to wire servo alarms, estop, etc to the AXBB controller?

Sorry if this post sounds confused, it's because I am. My goal is to:
1. e-stop should work
2. servo alarms should properly stop the machine

I'm kind of struggling here with my machine down, so any help would be desperately appreciated!
Last edited by dg123 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
dg123

Re: Servo/stepper alarms, AXBB-E to Delta ASDA-B2 servos?

Postby dezsoe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:12 am

Wire the e-stop alone to an input. It works: you tested.

Wire the alarms to another input and check on the diagnostics page if it works. If it works, then enable and configure the Fault signals plugin to watch the alarm input. You can set it to reset UCCNC if an alarm condition happens.
dezsoe

Postby dg123 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:27 am

@dezsoe, thanks for responding.

I get what you're saying, it makes perfect sense.

Sadly, for bad reasons (laptop that runs the machine apparently doesn't support opengl 1.3) I can't install UCCNC until I replace it with something that does. So I'm stuck on Mach3 for the short term. I'm looking (config / port & pins / input signals) and not seeing any way of getting more than one input to trigger an estop.

Initial search isn't finding much on "mach3 fault signals plugin" either. If this is a mach3 plugin can you send a link? If not can you suggest anything?

UPDATE: Ok, searching I think I see the answer. I need to set up a mach3 'brain' to or the inputs. I'll check into that.
dg123

Postby ger21 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:41 am

Fault Signals is a UCCNC plugin.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:46 am

It is not likely that your laptop does not support OpenGL 1.3 except if your laptop is more than 20 years old.
Because all computers after the year 1999 supports OpenGL 1.3 or higher.

Why the UCCNC tells you that your computer cannot use OpenGL 1.3 is because you did not install the video card drivers of the computer and Windows installed an unoptimal driver which cannot use hardware graphics acceleration (OpenGL and DirectX). In other words Windows does not know how to do graphics acceleration because the driver is missing, so Windows does not know how to use those functions on your video card.
You should simply install the video card drivers which you should have on the CD/DVD you got with your computer when you purchased it.
Or look up the type of the computer, go to the manufacturer's website and download and install the video card drivers.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby dg123 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:13 am

cncdrive wrote:It is not likely that your laptop does not support OpenGL 1.3 except if your laptop is more than 20 years old.
Because all computers after the year 1999 supports OpenGL 1.3 or higher.

Ah, well, I did mention it was for a bad reason. ;-) Didn't want to drag you guys thru this but basically:
This is a venerable Dell Latitude 600m. So yeah it's close to 20 years old. I like to use it in the garage because it's approximately worthless. It's been splattered with coolant & metal chips a few times before I made a fence and still does on occasion. Although I try to keep the shop area clean, I'm always cutting or grinding on something somehow out there and it's a pretty grimy environment.
This Dell 600m has a ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 'GPU' (aka IGP back then). It came with WindowsXP but at some point I upgraded it to Windows 7 which works great except a few things like this driver issue which has never caused problems before now.
There are two driver sources for the GPUXXXIGP I can find: Dell's XP driver or ATI (aka AMD) Catalyst drivers. Neither installs 100% correctly, at least on Windows 7.
I can get the Dell driver installer to run using 'XP compatibility mode'. The Dell driver basically works, I can switch to native resolution (1050x1440?) but the ATI control panel applet doesn't work. And UCCNC won't run, complaining about the opengl issue. All the ATI Catalyst drivers I've tried refuse to install no matter what I do.

Obviously the solution is to reinstall XP on the machine, test to see if UCCNC runs once all the drivers are happy, etc. Problem with this is for some reason the XP native backup app fails to complete either to the network fileserver ("incorrect parameter" error) or to CDR discs ("volume changed" error). So yeah, it's a problem, one that you guys shouldnt have to deal with or really even hear about. I don't want to wipe this machine without at least a backup, among other things it's likely to brick. I could try a 3rd-party backup app or I could just wipe the machine but I have a few delicate old software stacks that run on it that I'd prefer not to lose. Mach3 for example. Already spent too much time on this old machine trying to get it to backup.

The best solution is to get a more modern machine that will run Windows 10 & UCCNC, Mach3, etc. I intend to do that but in the meantime I'm kind of stuck with the 600m & Mach3. I was hoping to stabilize the AXBB setup before moving to entirely new CNC software to avoid changing too many things at one time.

Ok, sorry if that was too much info. I'm not trying to bag on UCCNC in any way, I hear it's great and I intend to move to it. But in the meantime I'm stuck on Mach3.
So unless someone has suggestions on how to get UCCNC running on this old machine I'm happy to drop the issue and focus on the controller & wiring it up properly.
dg123

Postby sn4k3 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:38 pm

I also use ASDA-B2 with servos.

Here my configuration:

24V EXT - COM+ (11)
COM+ (11) - PULLHI (35)
GND EXT - COM- (14)
/PULSE (41) - O2 | [Step]
/SIGN (37) - O3 | [Dir]
DI1- (9) SON - O4 | [Motor Enable]
DI5- (33) ARST - O5 | [Motor Clear]
DO5- (27) ALRM - Ix- endstop

e-stop alone goes to another spare pin
sn4k3

Postby Millau05 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:32 pm

Hallo my name is Mauro, I am new here!
I need to install a tangential knife cutter on my cnc machine and I'm planning to control it with servo motors but I don't have enough experience with them
Can anyone help with wiring a Delta b2 100w servo to axbb-e?
This is the Delta b2 manual:
https://www.deltaacdrives.com/Delta-ASD ... Manual.pdf

I conneted it according to the instructions I've seen in the previous post but it just doesn't work with uccnc. I can jog the servos directly with the drive but not with the computer.
I know there are different way to connect it but there are also different settings that need to be used to make it work and it's totally new for me and I'm a bit lost.
thank you
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 21.47.53.png
Millau05

Return to Ask a question from support here