How to save home position after restart UCCNC?

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Re: How to save home position after restart UCCNC?

Postby sn4k3 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:24 am

Demusman wrote:You don't have to get the exact line, as long as you start before the line it stopped at.

That was i guess but still not much accurate nor safe, in that case i wonder if exists a plugin that keep bufering the current line to a file, so in case of failure we can see the line where it stop or near that, so we have a very near point without have to guess.
sn4k3

Postby Vmax549 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:38 am

You do not have to create a plugin. You can do what is needed from a simple macro loop. It was done a long while back recording the current line and current XYZ positions to file. It will not be exact but very close. Close enough to do what you need.

(;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby Karnage » Sat May 16, 2020 2:06 am

sn4k3 wrote:
Demusman wrote:You don't have to get the exact line, as long as you start before the line it stopped at.

That was i guess but still not much accurate nor safe, in that case i wonder if exists a plugin that keep bufering the current line to a file, so in case of failure we can see the line where it stop or near that, so we have a very near point without have to guess.

if you're concerned about accuracy this topic is moot and you certainly wouldn't be asking why a CNC should be homed before starting an operation.

I think you might be climbing into a rabbit hole. The point of homing a machine on power up is to set a repeatable datum for the processes which follow such as calling offsets, ensuring you machine will move accurately to the tool change position etc. Whilst scenarios such as power loss are possible, this is not that common. A more common scenario would be having to use the E-Stop, under this scenario you would then re-home tha machine to ensure there has not been any lost steps etc. From this point you would be able to resume your work. If you're on the last tool of your 12 hour operation and you use the e-stop for what ever reason, you'll be throwing the job in the bin without an accurate way of continuing after the stop.
Karnage

Postby sn4k3 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:11 am

Vmax549 wrote:You do not have to create a plugin. You can do what is needed from a simple macro loop. It was done a long while back recording the current line and current XYZ positions to file. It will not be exact but very close. Close enough to do what you need.

(;-) TP

Too late, i already did my own plugin, it work fine for what i want (Look status messages)
It includes a double backup, in case one get corrupted in middle of a write, farest line is selected from the two
After kill & restart UCCNC:

Karnage wrote:if you're concerned about accuracy this topic is moot and you certainly wouldn't be asking why a CNC should be homed before starting an operation.

I think you might be climbing into a rabbit hole. The point of homing a machine on power up is to set a repeatable datum for the processes which follow such as calling offsets, ensuring you machine will move accurately to the tool change position etc. Whilst scenarios such as power loss are possible, this is not that common. A more common scenario would be having to use the E-Stop, under this scenario you would then re-home tha machine to ensure there has not been any lost steps etc. From this point you would be able to resume your work. If you're on the last tool of your 12 hour operation and you use the e-stop for what ever reason, you'll be throwing the job in the bin without an accurate way of continuing after the stop.

Thank you for giving more ideias where homing is important, i now see that's important and i will enforce that habit.
"Whilst scenarios such as power loss are possible, this is not that common." - While that can be true for most, isn't for me on winter, i run machine in my home (no backups nor generators, directly from AC outlet), and on winter power losses are expected and frequent with bad weather, even on summer tiny outages can happens and that can ruin a job, main breaker disconnect when someone short things on repairs by accident or by overpower the line with to much load from high power equipments. I just have single line with 16A, so with all that variables, be able to continue a job rather than restart is important to me. My longest job was near 26h with a pause on night because of noise, but that comes out ok without interuption, still was a risk because we can't trust the grid.

Thanks to all who take their time to reply. I'm still new and learning cncs
sn4k3

Postby Robertspark » Sat May 16, 2020 6:34 am

You could use a small ups for the pc and motion controller to allow the pc to stop at power loss and save the current coordinates and shut the pc down.

It may be a feature CNCdrive could consider added to uccnc similar to the way arcok works with plasma and when it's lost the machine stops and backs up to where arc ok was lost but as a general input for power loss. (This is available on 3d printers via firmware changes within marlin for example to detect power loss and allow for current coordinates to be saved)
Robertspark

Postby Riyan17 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:42 pm

To save the home position after a restart in UCCNC, you can utilize the "Set Home Offsets" feature. First, jog the machine to the desired home position. Then, navigate to the offsets tab in the UCCNC interface and click "Set Home Offsets". This action will establish the current position as the new home position, ensuring it's retained even after a restart. story saver
Riyan17

Postby niladri » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:48 pm

To ensure the home position is retained after a restart in UCCNC, I'll jog the machine to the desired home location. Then, I'll access the offsets tab in the interface and click "Set Home Offsets". This secures the current position as the new home for consistent operations. gb whatsapp Pro
niladri

Postby niladri » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:56 pm

To save the home position after a restart in UCCNC, utilize the Set Home Offsets" feature. Jog the machine to the desired home position, then access the offsets tab in the UCCNC interface and select "Set Home Offsets. This establishes the current position as the new home, ensuring retention post-restart. gb whatsapp Pro
niladri

Previous

Return to Ask a question from support here