How to save home position after restart UCCNC?

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

How to save home position after restart UCCNC?

Postby sn4k3 » Wed May 13, 2020 11:24 pm

Hello,

Everytime i lunch UCCNC it "require" home first for some operations. How can i do it just one time and save it so i don't need rehome every time i restart UCCNC software? Homing my machine is kinda slow and i like the software renember last state. Is it possible?
sn4k3

Re: How to save home position after restart UCCNC?

Postby cncdrive » Thu May 14, 2020 12:19 am

I don't really understand how do you want to "save" it?
Your motor loose the home position as soon as the motors get unpowered, on next powerup your axes positions are undefined/unknown by the software this is why they have to be rehomed.

If you closing the software, but not turning the power off of the motors then the software position should be fine on the next software run, because the software saves the axes coordinates and the offsets.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby sn4k3 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:25 am

Ok i thought there's some way to renember the home as soon you never manualy turn axis. Some functions like probing require home first but i guess i can just remove that part from script. As i always work from last work area and zero everything i used to never home.
Thanks for replying
sn4k3

Postby Karnage » Thu May 14, 2020 8:09 am

Why wouldn't you want to home your machine to ensure it is calibrated and accurate before you start cutting?
Karnage

Postby cncdrive » Thu May 14, 2020 9:00 am

If you don't home your machine at all then you could set the home input pins to 0 and then pressing the homing buttons immediately setting the homed LEDs states to true, so then there will be no problem with functions whicvh requires the machine to be homed. But homing the machine oon each power up is the good practise.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Demusman » Thu May 14, 2020 12:46 pm

If it's slow, just jog the machine close to home switches and then home from there.
Demusman

Postby dezsoe » Thu May 14, 2020 1:12 pm

In 1.2109 or later versions there is a Goto Ref button on the probe screen. You can go to the reference points before you turn off the machine: next time you have to home it will be at the home switches and home it in a minute.
dezsoe

Postby sn4k3 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:56 pm

Karnage wrote:Why wouldn't you want to home your machine to ensure it is calibrated and accurate before you start cutting?

Can you explain how home give better calibrated and accurate cutting vs no home? As far i know home only tell machine the 0,0,0 position
PS: I have a cnc router, 3 axis

cncdrive wrote:If you don't home your machine at all then you could set the home input pins to 0 and then pressing the homing buttons immediately setting the homed LEDs states to true, so then there will be no problem with functions whicvh requires the machine to be homed. But homing the machine oon each power up is the good practise.

Didn't know about that trick, but yeah i plan keep home pins for some of that function that require it.

Demusman wrote:If it's slow, just jog the machine close to home switches and then home from there.

dezsoe wrote:In 1.2109 or later versions there is a Goto Ref button on the probe screen. You can go to the reference points before you turn off the machine: next time you have to home it will be at the home switches and home it in a minute.

Problem is my home speed is already the max speed machine goes, 2000 mm/min, thats slow, when axis is far i wait about 1 minute to home when i just want a simple cut. But well soon i will upgrade to ac servo and i guess that will be solved at 20 000mm/min max speed.

But homing the machine on each power up is the good practise.

I need to understand why home is so important?
option 1) I put a block (200mm x 200mm) at center of machine, then i jog to 0,0,0 of block zero all and start my work.
option 2) I put a block (200mm x 200mm) at center of machine, home, then i jog to 0,0,0 of block zero all and start my work.

Giving that 2 options, what is diferent or what can happen when home vs not home?
sn4k3

Postby dezsoe » Thu May 14, 2020 3:17 pm

E.g. 1: you have a power failure and you have already milled the surface where the 0,0,0 was. If you home first then set 0,0,0 work coords and press save offsets then you can simply continue the work when the power is back. You just need to home again and continue the job.

E.g. 2: you have a tool height probe somewhere fixed on the table. If the machine doesn't know the machine coords then it cannot move to the probe sensor.
dezsoe

Postby sn4k3 » Thu May 14, 2020 9:43 pm

dezsoe wrote:E.g. 1: you have a power failure and you have already milled the surface where the 0,0,0 was. If you home first then set 0,0,0 work coords and press save offsets then you can simply continue the work when the power is back. You just need to home again and continue the job.

E.g. 2: you have a tool height probe somewhere fixed on the table. If the machine doesn't know the machine coords then it cannot move to the probe sensor.

Good to know, eg1 is usefull to me in case of power failure. Also by continue you mean restart? i Guess you can't continue from exact point where it stop on a power loss?
sn4k3

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here