Probe Screen Help

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Probe Screen Help

Postby jsim8909 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:41 pm

Hello, I am having trouble understanding the probing screen version 1.2109. I enabled the probe plugin, read the descriptions found on via the i tab. I am using a spindle mounted touch probe. First attempt set to touch probe page 1 set probe radius on setup page. choose single probe action page 1 and y axis 25mm. Set saze z 15 mm and clicked safe probe mode. Last I hit start probing and that button changed green and messages says probing. Nothing happens. no movement, no messages of any kind. machine was homed and 150 mm away from all limits hard and soft. what am I missing? I put all I had into understanding this new screen, but It's next to impossible to understand function of whole process when all the instruction is limited to button description only. We need a step 1,2,3 ect for at least 1 of the options. Like after machine is homed you wanna outside probe stock in way both sides with a touch probe. You set what buttons to what and the setup values what in relation to ur stock relative to size?
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans!
jsim8909

Re: Probe Screen Help

Postby laki » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:09 pm

Did you set up a fast feed (feed for single probe)
laki

Postby dezsoe » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:43 am

If I understand then you want to probe the edge of your workpiece in Y. You set the probe diameter and check the override probe dia. checkbox. (If it's not checked then the diameter comes from the tool table.) Go to page 1 and select simple probe. Select Y. Turn on axis1 count dia. Set fast feed and fine feed. Click start probing.

You mentioned single probe. Normally, a probe sequence will first probe with fast feed, retract, probe fine feed. If you turn on single probe mode then it will probe only with fine feed.

In any of the movements on the probe screen the safe probe mode turns on and after the movement is finished it reverts to the state it was before, so you don't need to turn it on for the probing.

Safe Z (and X and Y) are all in machine coords. When the probe screen moves the axes to a start position (probe positions and back to the original coords) then it checks if it has to move a safe position first. G17 uses only the safe Z.

The documentation describes the probe sequences step by step, but if you have any question, feel free to ask.
dezsoe

Postby jsim8909 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:29 am

actually I meant 1 axis at a time when I mentioned single probe. I would rather use 2 probe readings for every measurement. I will make new attempt this morning and report my experience here. I didn't mean to sound offensives in my post. I have struggled with learning curve with cnc related software for a while and its never easy to understand what someone else has written, not writing it yourself. sorry. I'm a hands on learner but that doesn't help me when I don't have a starting point.
jsim8909

Postby dezsoe » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:57 am

No, there were no problems. I just tried to walk through the expressions that you wrote. :) Try it and ask if something is not clear.
dezsoe

Postby jsim8909 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:57 am

Ok so I got movement attempting to probe with outside tab. I homed machine jogged over top of a 1,2,3 block in vise that measures exactly 25.41 in y and has 50 mm height above vise jaws. I jogged to visual center of block in y and 5 mm clearance over top for z. At that position I zeroed all offsets. I set p value to 15 mm and c value to 10 mm. This would allow z to drop down 5 mm below block surface and provide at least 2 mm travel in y before striking face of block when measuring y. I set probe thickness to the actual 7 mm ball tip and checked override dia. button on setup page. Than I hit the start probe button and it traveled as intended, but activated reset and message said probe triggered in safe probe mode. I didn't select safe mode myself. If safe probe mode is part of outside probe function, it's preventing probe operation for completing. Dro values reflect the exact values I entered in the p and c fields. This position regardless of probing completion or not is inaccurate. I have confirmed probe functions in all axis.

Also safe limits don't allow probe functions to work. I was located a x272 y145 z -200 in machine coordinates after first home all was run. I zeroed out at this location. mill travels stop to stop 550 mm x 300 y -344 z z homing pos dir and x,y neg dir.
not even close to soft limits but pressing start probing resulted in soft limit met error. I turned the off and the result above is what I got. progress but still not fully understanding something.
jsim8909

Postby cncdrive » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:50 am

Don't forget that softlimits are in machine coordinates!
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby dezsoe » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:29 am

I don't know what and why triggered your probe, but that's exactly what I wrote before, that the probe screen turns safe probe mode on when it moves to save the probe.

The C value has to be negative if you probe a block with a probe in the spindle, because you want the Z to go lower.

The probe screen does nothing with the soft limits, only the button is placed there in case of needed.
dezsoe

Postby jsim8909 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:26 pm

I haven't forgotten soft limits in machine coords. I stated machine stop to stop meaning total travels are x550 y300 z 0 thru -344 and I was in the middle of all 3 when probing feature displayed the message limits met. Like I said nowhere near any hard or soft limits.
jsim8909

Postby ger21 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:40 pm

What machine coordinates were displayed when you got the softlimit message?
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here