Spindle and laser

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Re: Spindle and laser

Postby Robertspark » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:45 pm

if you REALLY want to power a laser and a spindle from M3, why don't you have the M3 run via another output which will control which device is in use.

Bear with me......

Say you have a spindle that needs a digital input to power it.

feed the M3 for the spindle via a NO relay which is powered from another output, then either run M7/M8 or even any other macro number you choose to toggle that spindle interlock.

say you use M500 as your spindle interlock and M501 to toggle the interlock off.

So if you want the spindle to run, you would run.

M500
M3 Sxxxxx
M5
M501

now you want the laser....

M3
M10 Qxxxx
M11
M5
Robertspark

Postby Mark81 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:08 pm

Robertspark wrote:if you REALLY want to power a laser and a spindle from M3, why don't you have the M3 run via another output which will control which device is in use.

Well, I don't want this. M3 for spindle and M7 for laser.

feed the M3 for the spindle via a NO relay which is powered from another output, then either run M7/M8 or even any other macro number you choose to toggle that spindle interlock.

I also need another relay on M7 to power the laser module.
So I would end with:

M500
M3 Sx
M5
M501

or

M7
M3
M10 Qx
M11
M5
M9

it would work... but it's a bit complex instead of just assign the "safety" feature to another output...
Anyway I don't understand how this is safe: say I connect my laser on M3 but I don't issue M3 the laser is still off even if I send M10.
Mark81

Postby Robertspark » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:16 pm

It is the way it is and it works just fine as it is for many users.

Bypassing a safety feature is a no no, what I have given you is a work around that requires YOU to bypass those safety features as designed by cncDrive. They ain't going to do it for you.
Robertspark

Postby Mark81 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:39 pm

Robertspark wrote:It is the way it is and it works just fine as it is for many users.
Bypassing a safety feature is a no no

Please read again my post.
I don't see how this feature is about safety. The needs to enable the spindle while you want to enable the laser only is a "nono" :lol: . If I forgot to send also S0 the spindle will start!
Mark81

Postby Robertspark » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:57 pm

I am fairly certain that cncdrive won't be changing the code to work any other way than it does at present.

Remember many of us have many different machines operating off M3 and they don't all need a spindle speed to confirm operation.

I run a plasma and use M3 and M10, but am in the process of attempting to use M10 qxxx to control the amperage setting on the fly but M3 Sxxxx won't work for me because the spindle speed is not in sync with the motion.

Many ways to skin that same cat you are trying to do by using a spindle and a laser.

You could use two profiles, one for milling / routering and one for laser. You just have to home the machine when each profile starts and split your file into laser operations and milling operations.... It's just another way that meets the same objective without changing anything in uccnc

If it ain't broke.... Why fix it? Especially if there are hardware or software options that will do what you want the system to do just by adding a relay for instance to kill the spindle output if youwant to use m10
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:15 pm

I do understand how frustrating it may be / seem, I'd suggest seeing if cncdrive reply as they ultimately are the only ones who are able to change the systems operation
Robertspark

Postby Mark81 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:59 am

Robertspark wrote:I am fairly certain that cncdrive won't be changing the code to work any other way than it does at present.

Nice.
Mark81

Postby 3d0g » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:51 pm

Old thread, I know but I haven't been around the forum in a few months...

I use M3 Sx to set the power output level of the laser supply. I tweaked settings so it's a simple % for my old brain so M3 S50 sets my laser output to 50%. PWM modulation of the beam (which is quite different than power), is achieved through M10 Qx. I don't use it as often but there's times when pulsing the beam reduces charring on wood. Get the timing right and you effectively ride the higher trigger voltage 'wave' w/o killing the tube.
3d0g

Postby Vmax549 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:19 am

This could have all been done with a simple modification to teh M3 macro

M3 works as normal
M3 H1 disables the spindle for laser work

(;-) TP
Vmax549

Previous

Return to Ask a question from support here