Setup spindle to turn on and off

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Setup spindle to turn on and off

Postby GJR » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:38 pm

I am setting up a Paxton Patterson Sherline cnc mill to run with UCCNC and UC100. I have the pins set for the 3 axes and can move the axes with the program. My next step was to make the spindle turn on and off with the software. First off the mill has a switch to set Manual or CNC. The spindle also has a separate ON/OFF switch. If Manual is set I can run the spindle using the ON/OFF switch. If I switch from Manual to CNC the spindle stops and the ON/OFF switch has no effect. I am using pin 16 to operate the spindle. On the spindle screen I have set Spindle Relay Output Enabled M3 relay to Pin 16 and checked 'Active Low'. I attached the UC100 to the mill. When I power up the mill, set the mill to CNC and set the spindle to ON, the spindle motor runs. But I can't turn the spindle off with the software. On the UCCNC spindle screen if I uncheck 'Active Low' the spindle stays running. Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing a setting? On the Diagnostics screen Pin 16 stays dark no matter if 'Active Low' is checked or not.
GJR

Re: Setup spindle to turn on and off

Postby cncdrive » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:12 pm

If you assigned pin 16. to the M3 output relay then when you press the M3 button on/off (clockwise round arrow icon on the RUN screen in the UCCNC) then the 16. pin should change state.
If the active low setting is LOW then when the M3 is active then the 16.pin LED is off and on when the M3 is inactivated.
And if the active low setting is HIGH then when the M3 is active then the 16.pin LED is on and off when the M3 is inactivated.

If the 16.LED is not changing state then check if you configured it properly. The Relays enabled in the configuration and also check if you not accidentally configured something else too on pin 16.
Forexample if you accidentally configured a step signal also to pin 16. then that will override the M3 relay. OFcourse the step signal was just an example, but check all settings to see if anything else is configured to pin 16. There is also a plugin available in the UCCNC which visually show you the pins configuration, but it is only available in the latest few test releases...
cncdrive
Site Admin

Re: Setup spindle to turn on and off

Postby GJR » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:11 pm

Further testing shows Pin 16 does change from RED to BLACK. Also CW for the spindle toggles between RED and BLACK. Pin 16 is putting out 4.70 volts or 0 volts. So it looks like the software and UC100 are working correctly.
GJR

Return to Ask a question from support here