Basic Installation Steps for UC300ETH-UB1 and UCCNC?

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Basic Installation Steps for UC300ETH-UB1 and UCCNC?

Postby GBCues » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:53 pm

Hey All,
I'm feeling kind of stupid here, but I need basic help setting up my new 300ETH-UB! and UCCNC software.
In way of background, I have previously set up 2 Mach3/Gecko G540 machines - 2-axis and 4-axis - without too much trouble. But with the recent problems of Mach3 and Windows Update, I have moved one of the machines to a UC300ETH/UCCNC setup.
My current setup is UCCNC software running a UC300ETH-UB1 controller connected to a Gecko G540 driver board with a ribbon cable from the LPT4 port on the UB-1 to the parallel port on the Gecko.
First problem: I couldn't get the UCCNC software to recognize the 300ETH-UB1, even though I copied the license file to the UCCNC folder. I finally found a program UC_xxx_utility in the UTIL folder that told me what the IP address on the ETH300 was which allowed me to set the IP address on my ethernet controller and VOILA, the software now can see the hardware. But nowhere in all the reading I did, was this utility program mentioned.
So, now I'd like to get some basic motion going on my machine. I've read through all 82 pages of the UCCNC users manual. In the Axis Setup section it talks about designating which port and pin you selected for a given axis' parameters. Ditto for the ETH300-UB1 users manual I'm not sure how I figure on which Port and Pin I should specify. Port 4 since I'm connected to the LPT4 connector? Pin????
This combination of ETH300-UB1 and G540 can't be all that rare. Can anyone point me to an installation reference for this pairing?
Thanks very much in advance for any help.
Gary
GBCues

Re: Basic Installation Steps for UC300ETH-UB1 and UCCNC?

Postby cncdrive » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:12 pm

The utility tool is mentioned and described in the UC300ETH product manual: http://cncdrive.com/MC/UC300ETH%20datas ... manual.pdf
It starts at point 5.2.
Also the network setup is described in details in the product manual of the UC300ETH.

For the UB1 pinout you should download and read the UB1 product manual which you can find on CNCroom's website.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:18 pm

UB1 pinout to UCCNC/UC300ETH module pinout is on page 4. in this manual: http://www.cncroom.com/downloads/UB1%20 ... 0E15R0.pdf
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:20 pm

This combination of ETH300-UB1 and G540 can't be all that rare. Can anyone point me to an installation reference for this pairing?

As I mentioned on CNC Zone, this combination will not work at all.

The G540 requires port 2 or 3 from the UC300ETH, and those ports are already being utilized by the UB1.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby GBCues » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:55 pm

All,
Thanks for the replies - it seems I misread/misinterpreted the UB-1 documentation. I thought I could use the UB-1 for the expanded number of inputs and outputs while keeping the G540 as the motor drivers. I don't see any big advantage to going to the UCETH300-5LPT solution, as I'd still be limited to the 4 inputs of the Gecko G540 or purchase yet another BOB.
Oh well back to the drawing board - and the bank/credit card. Ugh!!
Gary
GBCues

Postby cncdrive » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:05 pm

Yes, the UB1 has the port#4 and #5 wired out to pin headers and you can't connect those to the G540 because it has standard LPT port pinout.
You could only make that work with making somekind of special cables and mixing the wires to the G540, but then you would still not have enough outputs if I counted correctly.

Yes, if you will go with a -5LPT then you can connect the G540 to it's 2. and 3. ports, but if you need more I/Os than what the G540 provide then you should connect a BOB to the other ports of the -5LPT.
And ports#1, #4 and #5 have input type pinout so you would need a special BOB for that which BOB also has input pinout.
Ofcourse a BOB may be not needed if you just wire some buttons to it which work with TTL (0/5V) voltage levels and if those wires are not running on the machine frame and not running together and near high voltage cables etc. Then there is not really a need to isolate those signals which is the purpose of a BOB.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to Ask a question from support here