Losing Connection after Windows 10 Update?

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Losing Connection after Windows 10 Update?

Postby moparx12 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi guys,

I am in the middle of a project and am having an issue with my ethernet connection on my UC300ETH-5LPT. I recently posted on here about machine problems with hiccups/studdering, but those seem to have been resolved since upgrading to a windows 10 laptop.

The issue I am having now all of a sudden is that as soon as UCCNC is launched, and I see the UI, I get a popup that says the connection has failed, forcing the app to close. This has to be a problem with configuration, not physical connection, since I have not moved the controller or the laptop and I know the connection is sound. What do I have set wrong here?
moparx12
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:40 pm

Re: Losing Connection after Windows 10 Update?

Postby moparx12 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:06 pm

In case anyone is racking their brain trying to figure this out:

I think I found the solution. The ethernet adapter had all kinds of energy saving settings set to enabled. I followed a guide I found on the web to improve performance and that seems to be working so far. There were probably 10 settings that I disabled in the advanced tab. Back to work I suppose! How can I stop updates from happening automatically?
moparx12
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:40 pm

Re: Losing Connection after Windows 10 Update?

Postby cncdrive » Mon May 07, 2018 11:32 pm

I'm afraid I don't know the exact answer to your question. :(
I think it depends on what network card you using. If it is with a USB connection then one thing to disable in Windows power management is the USB suspend function.
The card itself may have options, but what these are depends on the card's manufacturer what functions they built into it.
Generally speking I would disable all power saving options if there are any, because you don't want Windows to shut down the communication of the card any time.

The Windows 10. updates, I think it can't be totally disabled.
There are a few articles over the internet about how to hack the auto-updates, but as far as I know non of them work, because Windows 10. will re-enable the updates after some time. :(
cncdrive
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1855
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:17 pm

Re: Losing Connection after Windows 10 Update?

Postby ger21 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:01 am

You need Windows 10 Pro to stop auto backups, and even then I don't know if it's permanent.
You can always disconnect the network connection.
Gerry
UCCNC 2017 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html
ger21
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:17 am

Re: Losing Connection after Windows 10 Update?

Postby dezsoe » Tue May 08, 2018 7:17 am

I have to agree with the new Microsoft strategy. There are thousands of never updated PCs, so called zombies, from which PCs you receive the tons of spam. Now with Win10 you have two possibilities: no internet - no update, or internet with updates. Many people say that they know what they are doing, they don't need the updates, but it's not true. When an update comes out the hackers check it and find out what was the error that was corrected. So they find how to impact computers without the update.

I use two laptops and a tablet with UCCNC, all Win10 64bit. Before I start working I check for updates. (Normally I just leave them turned on for the time I do other things.) Monthly, every first Tuesday is the "patch Tuesday", the monthly updates come then. Because of the time-zones it's late night or Wednesday morning here in Hungary, but then I manually start update on all my PCs (besides the laptops and the tablet there are 3 servers and 2 other PCs) to prevent later problems. :)
dezsoe
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:41 pm
Location: Csörög, Hungary

Re: Losing Connection after Windows 10 Update?

Postby A_Camera » Tue May 08, 2018 7:31 am

ger21 wrote:You need Windows 10 Pro to stop auto backups, and even then I don't know if it's permanent.

You can't disable updates in W10 pro, you can only postpone to a suitable time and date. Auto backups is another thing.
A_Camera
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:37 am

Re: Losing Connection after Windows 10 Update?

Postby A_Camera » Tue May 08, 2018 10:17 am

dezsoe wrote:I have to agree with the new Microsoft strategy. There are thousands of never updated PCs, so called zombies, from which PCs you receive the tons of spam. Now with Win10 you have two possibilities: no internet - no update, or internet with updates. Many people say that they know what they are doing, they don't need the updates, but it's not true. When an update comes out the hackers check it and find out what was the error that was corrected. So they find how to impact computers without the update.

I use two laptops and a tablet with UCCNC, all Win10 64bit. Before I start working I check for updates. (Normally I just leave them turned on for the time I do other things.) Monthly, every first Tuesday is the "patch Tuesday", the monthly updates come then. Because of the time-zones it's late night or Wednesday morning here in Hungary, but then I manually start update on all my PCs (besides the laptops and the tablet there are 3 servers and 2 other PCs) to prevent later problems. :)

I completely agree. The only thing I am missing regarding automatic updates is a function where the user can decide when and how often W10 Pro should look for updates. I wish I could set the exact date and time and it should NEVER bother to go out and look for updates in between. Of course, if the computer is down at that time then it should check at next Internet availability.
A_Camera
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:37 am

Re: Losing Connection after Windows 10 Update?

Postby dezsoe » Tue May 08, 2018 11:42 am

A_Camera wrote:I wish I could set the exact date and time and it should NEVER bother to go out and look for updates in between.

If you schedule the updates then you won't get the most important instant critical updates/patches. And don't forget, also the built-in antivirus (Defender) updates through the Windows Update service.
dezsoe
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:41 pm
Location: Csörög, Hungary

Re: Losing Connection after Windows 10 Update?

Postby Battwell » Mon May 21, 2018 10:34 am

there was recent talk of this on mach3 forum
one member said he set his to "metered line- as in pay for data"
says it doesnt automatically download updates.
im sticking to windows 7 - not on internet for all my machines
Battwell
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:39 pm

Re: Losing Connection after Windows 10 Update?

Postby ger21 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:09 am

"metered" connections are only available for wifi, and don't block all updates. Critical updates will still come through.
Gerry
UCCNC 2017 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html
ger21
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:17 am

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

cron