Cancel a macro

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Re: Cancel a macro

Postby Robertspark » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:28 am

Wow bit heated.

I can't read it all.

Crux of the matter as I understand it..

You press the ESC key and you are pissed that all ports and pins reset and clear, with the potential of dropping expensive tools ($1200 probe).

Don't shoot the messenger...

But why are you relying on software to protect or hold your tools?

What would happen under a power failure?

Would the software enabled ports and pins not drop out?

Why don't you use a fail safe arrangement with 2-stage electro mechanical interlocks which can still be driven by ports and pins but there is zero chance of disengaging the tool then or whatever other important iOS .

In simple terms, use I output to trigger a relay , which is then latched, and requires a second output to be high to toggle a second relay which will disengage the first

The same way push button motor starters work.

You may require a third port and pin to drive a mechanical unlock / release bolt.... No chance of dropping the tool.

If it's pneumatics then that is another matter but can be done given the tool should be fail safe locked in position. Again just use a two stage interlock arrangement for your electrical side
Rob
Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself”
...working my way through the 1000+ ways things don't work to find the one that does
UC400eth, UC300eth, UCCNC v1.2106, Neuron Lite
UCCNC v1.2105 Macro Manual
Robertspark

Postby Dan911 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:09 am

Vmax549 wrote:Hi Dan. It is actually easier than that.

Yes it is, taking another quick deeper look there is no need for a bool. Just using exec.Ismacrostopped() before any Setoutpin, Clroutpin like Deszoe previously posted is going to the job!

Dan
Dan911

Postby andrewbishop66 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 am

Hi Terry

would love to see this in operation just in case I get inspired to add ATC to my knee mill any chance of a video
sounds like an awesome system and have found this thread very informative without it getting silly as they sometimes do on the larger forums

thanks everyone

Andrew
andrewbishop66

Postby Derek » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:04 am

The same reason I'm relying on software to machine my cylinder heads. Trust.

any chance of a video

I should have the carousel finished early next week. The arm assembly has been finished and I've done 200 or more tool out tool in cycles without a single miss.

Derek
Derek

Postby Robertspark » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:28 am

Derek wrote:

The same reason I'm relying on software to machine my cylinder heads. Trust.

Derek

Thats not quite what I was on about.... that is an operation.

My point was why not design your interlock to be physical or two stage. If a probe was to "fall out" under loss of signal, what would a tool do if power was lost during a cutting operation.... would it fly across the machineshop?
Rob
Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself”
...working my way through the 1000+ ways things don't work to find the one that does
Robertspark

Postby ger21 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:38 am

Wouldn't this be a good application for a PLC?
Gerry
UCCNC 2017 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html
ger21

Postby Vmax549 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi Robert, Yes this is pneumatics controls. The solenoids are 2 stage with NO off position. So it is either motion in one direction or the other. That setup was well proven with ATC#1. All it takes to be Abs power failure safe is a simple 24v battery backup for the power supply that feeds teh Solenoids.

The tools cannot SLING out of teh spindle on power loss as it is held in place mechanically. I learned that lesson 40 years ago (;-) Did have an ATC many years ago that every once in a while the ARM would toss a tool at you.

The {esc} does not just reset the outputs it toggles them all the way till the end of the macro code. Depending on where you hit {ESC} it could be 48 cycles or 1 cycle. Same with messaging.

Hi Gerry, Yes it can be done with a PLC but first thought is WHY?? WHy have all teh power of a UC300eth with ALL teh available outputs and NOT use it?? IF I went teh PLCs route teh machine could basically run with a UC400.

The UC300eth and UCCNC are basically at IDLE during a tool change ?????

So far the BASICS of teh ATC are very very dependable and UCCNC up to date has handled MOST of it very well.There are STILL a couple of glitches that turned out to be Gotchas to be worked out with teh tool table and slot assignments.

It is up to Derek if he wants to show off his ATC#2. Dereks design is a true art form. :mrgreen:

I call him Cosley COGS and I tend to be Spacely Spockets.

He is a LOT of fun to work with.

(;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby Vmax549 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi Robert, Was I Pissed ?? No. Very surprised YES as I have never seen a controller handle scripted functions this way. They all Cancelled safe. Concerned. Abosolutely .

Also there is always the chance that " I " expect too much from a DIY controller and software.

UCCNC is a VERY good system within its means. When you cross over the boundary to an OEM enviroment the expectations increase dramatically concerning things that deal with safety especially in teh good ole USA and it's extreme base of hungry lawyers.

(;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby Robertspark » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Uccnc is good, but don't forget the price point.

I don't believe it will ever be able to complete with the big boys, but then it's unlikely that you'll pay for a family car and end up with a sports car, even if it's trying. There are always compromises to be had.

The catch for uccnc is just to keep its eyes on the competitors offerings and exceed their provision although provide simplicity.

Litigation is the world over... And only the lawyers get rich... But then you have class action.. we don't here... Your payouts are bigger, as ours are claim award plus costs (or part of) where as yours need to include litigation costs. Rule #1 take out professional indemnity insurance
Rob
Robertspark

Postby Vmax549 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:42 am

HIya Robert, Yes sometimes I get too close to controller projects and then I loose perspective between expectations and reality. You are correct it is only a $150 piece of software and it is very young in its life. Also their idea for market value is very different. It is basically router/plasma based. And those Machines do not require things that others I work with would require of it.

My level of expectations will Mill is far different than their perspective. So I will back off for a while and see where it goes. AND what you guys create for it . I have plenty of things to work on :D And other things to test.

Be happy and sling chips (;-) TP
Vmax549

PreviousNext

Return to Ask a question from support here