Losing connection

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Losing connection

Postby Makingtoothpicks » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:46 pm

I now am having a problem with the UC100 and UCCNC. I start to run a program and after about 20 30 seconds the blue light goes out and a error message appears
saying that UCCNC lost connection. I have to restart the computer to get it working again. This has happened 3 times in a row. So now I cannot use my machine.
I understand that this may not be an easy problem to resolve. Any hints to what to look for would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank You
Don
Makingtoothpicks

Re: Losing connection

Postby Robertspark » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:08 pm

I'll ask the dopy question.... is it a genuine UC100?

Looks like this:
http://cncdrive.com/UC100.html

Sorry there are a few clones about that are fake.

Get the obvious out of the way.... what are you running it on (PC / Laptop?)

Have you got a good quality USB cable?

How long is the cable?

Sometimes.... laptops can be problematic with USB (not enough voltage or something), have you got the model number and make of your PC / laptop?

Sure cncdrive will be along ..... note that he is suffering from ilness at the moment so may not be that quick (hence some replies are delayed).
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:11 pm

presume you are running the current drivers etc?

What version of windows are you running?

(Sorry I know zero about your setup, hence need to get all the obvious stuff out of the way)
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:13 pm

section 5 of the manual is worth a read + consideration

http://cncdrive.com/MC/UC100%20datashee ... 0guide.pdf
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Looking at one of your other posts, looks like you are running UCCNC (hence a signature can be helpful too), what version / release?

Is this what you are running hardware wise (from one of your other posts)?

2016 NuVision 8-inch Full HD (1920 x 1200) IPS Touchscreen Tablet PC, Intel Atom Z3735F Quad-Core Processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD eMMC, Webcam, WIFI, Windows 10, Silver
Robertspark

Postby cncdrive » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:45 pm

I beleive you using the UC100 for some time, correct?
I mean you not just started using it, but you were using it for a while without this issue?
If the answer is yes then you should think about what has changed in your system?
If you changed or added anything new or changed computer etc.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby A_Camera » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:12 am

Don, did you try a brand new USB cable or a different USB port? USB connections are generally unreliable, not only the communication protocol, but also the connections. Also, what happens JUST before when you lose connection? I mean, do you start something else, like a vac, or even a washing machine or some other appliance in your household? As a matter of fact, even the thermostat of a coffee machine which keeps the coffee at constant temperature and is switching the heating element on/off can cause electrical interference which can disturb the USB communication.

As been suggested... analyse your environment. If you have had it running for a while without problems than it is likely that the problem is caused by some change you made compared to what you had before, or some cable is a little lose, which may be OK most of the time but, a slight wind draught or floor vibration can cause it to flicker and cause issues.
A_Camera

Postby Makingtoothpicks » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Ok to answer some questions
1= IT is a real UC100 as I purchased it from CNC4PC 2= The computer is a Toshiba Satellite laptop, About 10 years old. It is only running the machine. Everything has been
turned off no sleep mode no internet connection , no screen saver mode. Running windows 10.
This setup has been running about 2 years no problems.
UCCNC version 1:2036

Today I started the computer to get the UCCNC software version and the comp would not load windows. I had to shut ifffft down and restart.
So I am going to check the comp today. I will see if a safe mode start and restart will fix windows.

If I need to get a new comp to run things will a tablet work. If the answer to this is yes what one.
I am retired and need to save money. Will a Atom run this.

Thank You
Don ( Makingtoothpicks )
Makingtoothpicks

Postby A_Camera » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:52 pm

It sounds like that PC is not really made for W10. Too old and maybe the latest W10 update cause a problem with it. I think you should reset it to the original OS before you buy a new one. UCCNC runs on XP as well, so that should not be a problem.
A_Camera

Postby Robertspark » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:20 pm

Xp is likely to be a better choice.
W10 likley to be a bit too demanding.

If you do install xp, suggest using these optimisations
They are for Mach 3 but will be applicable to uccnc too.

CNC is CNC at the end of the day
http://support.machsupport.com/index.ph ... ntxt-steps
Robertspark

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here