Probe issues

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Probe issues

Postby MaSchmidt » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:48 pm

After upgrading to 1.2024 I wanted to try PCB milling with the Auto leveler plugin. So I changed the probe settings and M31 to use the engraving bit as probe. After loading the file and setting up the plugin I started the probing cycle. But after two or three probe steps I got the error message "The probe sensor was active. The operation was aborted". I double checked my wiring and also tested the operation in the status monitor. Everything works as expected. Do you have any idea/hint where this error message comes from?

My configuration:
Hardware: UC100+Stepcraft
Software: Eagle 7.6 + pcb-gcode-3.6.2.4 + UCCNC 1.2024 + AutoLevelerCA 1.0021

Thanks, Matthias
MaSchmidt

Re: Probe issues

Postby cncdrive » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:42 pm

That message is shown if the probe input was already active when the probing routine (G31 movement) started.
So, the issue can be caused if the probe was not moved off the workpiece and a new probing routine G31 is executed.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby MaSchmidt » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks for the hint. Due to whatever reason I get random probe triggers without touching the PCB. The root cause seems to be the AutoLeveler plugin. I also observed some strange probe behavior without using the plugin (enabled but not called). After deactivating the plugin everything works fine again.
Now I have to go down to the basement and reactivate my PCB etching equipment....
Nevertheless thanks for your quick support.

One last general question: How do you handle the bundled plugins? Will you only update them with new UCCNC versions or is there a place where I can check for updates?
MaSchmidt

Postby cncdrive » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 pm

Could you please send an e-mail to c.ates at hotmail.com?
That is the e-mail address of Cahit who developes the Autoleveler plugin,
he is a nice guy and if you e-mail him the problem you experiencing I'm sure he will look after it.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby markg » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:37 am

Hi is there any resolution to this issue. Unfortunately I have just driven 2 engraving bits through a circuit board due to the probe not stopping when the bit contacted the board. I was running version 1.2024 with a UC400ETH - Windows 10. I then reverted to 1.2023 but still have the same issue with an error message occurring indicating the probe signal is active after testing the G31 probing successfully about 3 times. The probe is nowhere near the workpiece when this message appears so I can only assume the probe signal is being 'randomly' generated. This is occurring with the autoleveller plugin loaded however when I disable this the probe issue does not seem to occur.

I could email Cahit but thought it would be useful to check if you did get a response and if so to post it here.

Thanks,
Mark
markg

Postby MaSchmidt » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:22 pm

It took some time but I found the root cause for the issue (at least for my setup): I forgot to mention that I also have a XHC-HB04 pendant and use it with the corresponding plugin. As soon as I switch to 'MPG cont.' I get probe errors in approx 40% of all probing. As soon as I switch back to 'Continuous' everything works fine. Currently I have no idea whether its a UCNC or a XHC-HB04 plugin issue. I will do further tests.
MaSchmidt

Postby cncdrive » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:36 pm

Could you please confirm that I understand you correctly?

The issue with the probe happens only if the XHC-HB04 plugin is enabled?
Is it happening if the pendant is just sitting there and you not using it? Or if you moving the wheel or pushing buttons while the probing is done?
And it is only happening if the MPG cont. mode is selected?
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby markg » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:35 am

That is exactly what I am seeing - selecting MPG mode seems to cause the probe issues. I have the XHC-HB04 and have simply stopped using it. I assume there is an issue with the XHC-HB04 plugin but I am running out of engraving bits so have not conduced any further destructive testing :-)
markg

Postby Steamer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Has anyone looked into the problem with MPG Cont./XHC-HB04 and erratic G31 results?

I'm currently running into, what seems to be, the same problem and it took a few days before questioning the software, and finding this thread. (just started using the hardware/software)

I mostly get the error message 'The probe sensor was active...' from the probing macro and not the message box from UCCNC, strange.
The software needs to be restarted to get it to probe again for a few times.

Modified the probe macro to switch to Cont mode (exec.Callbutton(161);) and that seems to have fixed it for now.

Emile
Steamer

Postby Steamer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:17 pm

I'm running into the same problem, in MPG Cont mode, after running the probe routine a few times, it errors out with 'the probe sensor was active'.

After the error I need to restart the software to get it to work again. (swiching to Cont. mode after the error doesn't clear it)

I haven't seen this happen in Cont. mode.

I'm a new user of UCCNC and it took me a while before I started looking into software/plugin problems, questioning my (new controller) setup first.

Greetings,
Emile
Steamer

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here