Spindle not changing rotation on M3 / M4

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Spindle not changing rotation on M3 / M4

Postby gabi68 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi to all,

I have to replace the 2.2 KW Chinese spindle due an excessive run out. Bought a new one installed and now the new spindle goes in one direction (CCW). Tried to put dir pin (17) on active high/low state - no change. The UCCNC is 1.2037, UC300 5LPT, HDBB2 and Altivar 12 VFD. I attach the .pro file to have a look on configuration
Any input appreciated.

Gabi
Attachments
XZero.pro
(30.84 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
gabi68

Re: Spindle not changing rotation on M3 / M4

Postby cncdrive » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:38 pm

Did you measure the direction signal at the VFD? Is it there?
If it is not then let me know and I will check your settings.
But if it is there then it is a VFD settings issue, the direction input is not configured or not configured properly.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby gabi68 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi,

I check everything on the vfd side (nothing was changed except the spindle). Still CCW motion on M3 or M4. Can you have a look on the settings, please?

Thank you
Gabi
gabi68

Postby cncdrive » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:51 pm

Did you measure the actual M4 signal at the VFD?
Never say something like nothing changed, because things always change, cables break, connections loose etc.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby gabi68 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:00 pm

How can I do that? I check all cables and everything was in order on hdbb2 the led is on when you use M3 or M4
gabi68

Postby cncdrive » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:03 pm

Ok, I have checked your settings and I doubt that if you used these settings then this ever worked.
You have 3 things configured on port#3 pin 17. The M3, The M4 and the Dir pin of the PWM spindle control.
This ofcourse can't work like that, because the signals are in conflict. You trying control one output from 3 sources.

What is pin is port 3 pin 17 is doing on the VFD? Is it the start signal or is it the direction signal?
If it is the start signal then configure it for M3 and also M4 with same Active low polarity and configure the direction signal to the pin which is connected to the VFD direction control input.
Or if it is the direction signal then configure it as the direction signal only and set the M3 and M4 to the other pin which you using as the start signal. Again, same active low polarity for M3 and M4.

So, whenever you push M3 or M4, because they have the same active low setting in both cases the spindle start signal will be triggered at the VFD. If it has to be active low or high depends on the VFD, if it requires an active low or high signal and if your BOB is and connection is inverting or not. Measure it after making the settings.
So, the VFD got the start signal when you pressing the M3 or the M4 and it will change the direction pin signal depending on if the M3 or the M4 was pressed.
You can reverse the rotation polarity you want for M3 and M4 with the active low setting of the Dir signal.

And the PWM goes out on pin 14. which should be OK, if it's polarity is OK, you can verify that too with measuring at the VFD.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 pm

It's called multimeter and measurement. Measure the voltage on the VFD inputs where the start, the dir and the analog signal are connecting to the VFD.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby gabi68 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Here is how is wired:

VFD side
yellow green wire - AI1 - Analog input
black wire 1 - LI1 - forward (2-wire transitional control)
black wire 2 - LI2 - no assigment - can be used for reverse
black wire 3 - COM

HDBB2 side
black wire 3 - 37 - PGND
yellow green wire - 30 - Output 3
black wire 2 - 32 - Analog output
black wire - 1 34 - 12 Vout
Just check it if is there is voltage on M4 - NO

Having this and the config .pro file what do I need to change?

Many thanks in advance#
Gabi
gabi68

Postby cncdrive » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 pm

black wire 2 - LI2 - no assigment - can be used for reverse

If only the LI1 forward is connected and the LI2 is not then how do you think the spindle will change the direction?
What do you think which of the signals you have connected will tell the VFD to change direction?
I mean you have only one analog signal which can only give the speed command and you only have one more signal connected.

The only possible answer to my own questions is if the VFD is configured with the LI1 signal as direction signal and there is no start signal, just the analog, which is by the way is a dangerous setup.
If you really have it wired like how you wrote then simply remove the M3 output pin config and also remove the M4 output pin and just leave the Dir pin in the PWM spindle setting, so the dir will switch the forward high or low depending on M3 or M4. And the analog signal will switch the spindle on.
But again, this setup is dangerous because it is missing the safety start signal and I'm not recommending to do the wiring this way.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby gabi68 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:15 pm

LI2 is connected to analog output from BOB.
black wire 2 - LI2
black wire 2 - 32 - Analog output
I wrote that to show that LI2 can be used for reverse function (according to manual I set that high) . Having said that, the initial question remains - you have the wiring connection and .pro file - what do I need to change to make it work.

Thank you
Gabi
gabi68

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here