UC300ETH Axis setup

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

UC300ETH Axis setup

Postby MarcS » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:15 am

Hi All,

I'll preface this post by stating I'm relatively new to CNC machining and I initially had a friend help me set up my machine using Mach 3. I'm using HM-86D stepper drivers with NEMA34 4.5NM motors, but I've recently replaced my old "eBay El-Cheap-O" NVUM Mach 3 controller board ( yeah, don't laugh :) ) with the UC300ETH and software bundle.

Unfortunately my friend is not available to assist me at this time so I'm trying connect everything by myself for the first time. I have made progress as I've been able to get the EStop and limit switches working (yay!), however, I'm currently stuck on setting up the X/Y/Z axis. I'm unable to translate which Control Signal Terminals on the stepper driver correspond to the axis settings in the UCCNC software - Step Pin, Dir Pin, Enable Pin ( assuming I'm on the right track that is :P ).

Below are 3 images showing how my stepper driver was wired to the old board. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

MarcS

Re: UC300ETH Axis setup

Postby cncdrive » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:27 am

The PU+ and PU-, the PU stands for Pulse in these drives which is the same as the Step signal in the UC300ETH and UCCNC.
The DR+ and DR-, the DR stard for Direction in the drives which is the same as the Dir, direction signal in the UC300ETH and UCCNC.
Assuming that you making a direct connection between the UC300ETH-5LPT and the drives, you should connect it like this:

Step output pin on the UC300ETH - PU+ on the drive
Ground pin on the UC300ETH (pins 18. to 25. in the DSUB connector) - PU - on the drive
Dir output pin on the UC300ETH - DR+ on the drive
Ground pin on the UC300ETH (pins 18. to 25. in the DSUB connector) - DR - on the drive

You can use any output pins, because in the UCCNC all output functions are freely attacheable to any of the output pins,
just make sure to configure the port/pin number the same in the software as how you make the connection.
Also check the manual to see which pins are output and which are inputs and use output pins for these signals.
Also note that port#1,4,5 has different pinout than port#2,3 in regards I/Os directions, so check the manual to see which pins are outputs and so which are the ones you can use.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby MarcS » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:43 am

Thanks so much for the reply.

I'll try this out tomorrow after work and report back.
MarcS

Postby MarcS » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi,

To close out this post - I've hooked up the X-Axis stepper as per below and it's jogging correctly. :)

Thanks for your help :)
MarcS

Return to Ask a question from support here