"The application lost connection with the motion controller"

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

"The application lost connection with the motion controller"

Postby Parkgrr » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:03 am

I do long ~20 hr cuts. UCCNC consistently throws this error when I'm doing a long cut, usually after many hours of cutting (10-15+). Nothing out of sorts happens with the hardware. Power supply to the UC300ETH, voltage, and temperatures are nominal. Everything is normal but this is thrown. I am using a network switch, I would suspect the switch except nothing else going through that switch fails inc internet connection. This has also happened after the machine has been 'on' for long periods but not running programs as well, but more rarely.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-08-26 162210.png
Parkgrr

Re: "The application lost connection with the motion control

Postby cncdrive » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:25 am

Make sure to disable the Windows power saving functions in the Windows power management, it can cause such problems if switching to Screensaver, swithing the hard drive or network card off in order to save power.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Parkgrr » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:59 am

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. I've changed the power saving plan from "Balanced" to "High Performance" and will check results.
Parkgrr

Postby Parkgrr » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:50 am

This worked perfectly. I've run 5x 20+ hour cuts without disconnection. Thank you!
Parkgrr

Postby Parkgrr » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:28 pm

Hi all

It seems that I was only delaying the occurrence of this error. I am doing longer cuts these days, and this error is coming up consistently after 20-24 hours of cutting. A full power cycle of both computer and the 300ETH is required to be rid of the problem.

Do we know what is causing the error? Energy saving is completely turned off.
Parkgrr

Postby cncdrive » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:33 am

Possible causes:

- 5V power failure/drop.
- Heavily overloaded computer.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby mickecarlsson » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:03 am

The box that has the ETH300, it is ventilated? I had issues with long runs and it turned out that heat was building up in my control box. I added a filter and a fan to the box to have constant flow of air through it and it solved my problem.
mickecarlsson

Postby Parkgrr » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:02 am

Interesting idea, yeah my cabinet has a fat fan + filter and moves air like a jet engine. Very cool in the cabinet (and my shop is about 60 degrees).

I have monitored voltage and seen no change, voltage is correct.

What do you mean by heavily overloaded computer? This issue exclusively happens at the 22-24 hr mark and it happens EVERY time I do a 22-24hr + cut. Is UCCNC leaking memory or otherwise slowly bogging down windows so the issue only arises after executing a large amount of Gcode?
Parkgrr

Postby cncdrive » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:18 pm

It could be a memory leak, we had a few customers who had that problem.
In all cases it was caused by bad implementation of some OpenGL functions in the video card drivers.
As far as I remember the issue was always solved with upgrading or downgrading the video card drivers.
And I think all these problems were caused by integrated Intel video cards, but in all cases different video card drivers version fixed the issue.
But you could easily check if it is memory leak with checking the UCCNC process in the task manager when the issue happens.

And by heavily overloaded computer I mean that other programs/tasks starts using most of the RAM and/or CPU, e.g. a Windows update starts in the background eating up all the resources so not enough left to use for the UCCNC.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Parkgrr » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:16 pm

Ok,
I took a look today after running a very long cut, memory usage in UCCNC was extremely high at almost 100%, almost 8gb. It seems that my large Gcode files are filling up almost 7gb of RAM, then over time UCCNC is taking incrementally more over each hour and maxing out memory.

Would maxed out memory cause this error? "The application lost connection with the motion controller"
Parkgrr

Next

Return to Ask a question from support here