Possible short / spark

If you have a question about the software please ask it here.

Possible short / spark

Postby cbond007 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:45 pm

I have an issue maybe one of you can assist me with. I'm running mach3 to a C11G breakout board via a UC100 USB adapter. I have a 2.2 Kw spindle. For years everything was fine. Then one day I was setting Z with a touch plate and it caused an error with the UC100 (loss of communication). Later I finally noticed that there was a small spark between the touch plate and bit. Also, if I quickly touched the touch plate to the bit, it would cause my monitor to twitch and flash before causing the UC100 loss connection error. I have grounded everything with a .001ohm reading anywhere on the machine. I replaced the C11G breakout board thinking something went wrong with it. But that didn't solve my issue. I can't figure out what has failed. Everything worked fine. I didn't do anything to cause this. Where could my problem be? I am currently working on building a new computer, and thinking about ordering a new UC100, but hate to toss money and something that may not be my problem. Thank you for any assistance.
cbond007

Re: Possible short / spark

Postby ger21 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:07 pm

Sounds like a short in your spindle.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Re: Possible short / spark

Postby charliem » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:30 pm

So looking at a wiring diagram for your breakout board are you supplying it with 5 volts? Have you measured voltage at the probe? maybe one of the ICs on the board malfunctioned and causing a higher than normal voltage on the probe and that is the cause for the spark? just a thought.
Regards
Charlie M
charliem

Return to Ask a question from support here